Friday 4 April 2008

Rant 117 / Reading Olympos... Again!

Made a new record of over 2 million grains in 7 hours. Actually, it was about 2.8M in 7 hours. Which is roughly 10kg/hr, taking the weight of a grain of rice to be 0.025g. That is when I use 50 threads. And it didn't crash! That is the most important thing! At this moment it has generated over 2.9M grains, and is still going at 106.6 grains/s. Woot! All the theoretical counts I made in the past were nothing compared to what is displayed now.

Now I can't sleep. Managed to fall asleep at 8pm last night. Was quite happy, but woke up feeling energetic... at 11.30pm. So I slept a total of 3.5 hrs last night. Worse is the fact that I've been sleeping at about 10am the last 3 days and waking at various times between 1-5pm. Today I'm not going sleep in the morning and I'm going to do what I can to sleep at a healthy time at night, say, 7pm earliest. I drank 3 cups of instant tea just now, plus I made myself a breakfast that consisted of an omelette, 3 Chinese buns (the sort that looks like a purse), some beans and 2 beef patties. Lots of carbohydrates and fats.

If I don't sleep within 2 hrs due to the heavy breakfast, I should be able to stay awake until dusk. If I make it to 11.30pm, that would mean I went 24hrs without sleep. Of course I wouldn't do that, if I can help it. I read that it's very unhealthy to go without sleep for so long.





Forgot again that oil is different from water in that I don't need to see bubbles to know that it is hot enough. Well, almost forgot. And I forgot that the deep frozen patties need to be dried, or at least with the ice/snow scraped off before frying. LOL! It was damn loud just now when I put in the first patty into the oil. Lucky for me I put it in using the spatula. The oil splattered all over the stove.

Then I almost forgot that the oil is too hot to follow the instructions on the packet, which is to fry each side for 5 mins. I fried the first for 2 mins before remembering this and turned it just in time to see the ring of black forming on the underside. So I flipped the other one too, and saw a lesser ring on that patty.

Fried both for another min and put them on my plate. Didn't care about the black parts. They were too little to affect the taste. The center was barely cooked for the second piece, but at least it wasn't raw.

Not too bad for someone who had been up since 11.30pm. =P






Alright. The sleepiness is coming. The test begins. Will 3 cups of tea work? Or will it just help me get a stomachache? I always get a stomachache when I drink tea/coffee, probably because I rare drink them. I see these 2 drinks as delicious medicine, something that cures fatigue in the short term. I don't drink them unless I see a use for it. Like now, when I need to change my sleeping hours.

If this fails, I'm switching to coffee tomorrow. Two cups of it.






10 minutes after my last check on the bot, it has finally crashed. I estimate it to be at just over 2.9M grains. The instructions from the author is that I should press Ctrl + C to end it, but it doesn't work now. I take this as proof that it has crashed.

Restarted it with 30 threads, minimum rest time at 2 seconds, maximum rest time at 7 seconds. The error I saw was Operation Time Out for one of the threads when it was supposed to display something. It should be that the server's response to that thread was suddenly stopped. I believe it was due to the bandwidth being used by more people at this time, thus getting more unstable. So 30 threads for now.

Just in case this needs an explanation again, each thread is an invisible internet browser that the bot has opened. In this case, the browser is for www.freerice.com. And rest time refers to the time it pauses between each answer to simulate human response time so that it won't be obvious that it's a bot.

And it has now 8898 words in its internal dictionary! Talk about fast learners! Those guys at freerice.com must have been really busy finding all those words.

Hmm... 25 grains/s.. this is merely a quarter of what I was getting just now with 50 threads and rest time between 4-9 seconds...

And it crashed again!!

I guess the connection must be pretty bad now. Not that I'm surprise. It's 9.14am after all, when people are reaching their office or just waking up and checking their emails and stuff. I often get bad pings on NS around this time.

Restarting bot with 10 threads and rest time between 2-5 seconds.

So far so good. 99.19% accuracy, at 22.2 grains/s. 5k grains and no crash yet.






My medic in Urban Dead is a zombie again. Treweeke Mall fell and is now in ruins. The main zombie horde has left for greener pastures (pun intended), while I have no idea where to run to. This is hopeless, there is no green zone left that lasts for more than 2 days. The Big Bash has finally revealed the true weakness of the game: the search rate of Revivification Syringes at 12.5% max is really too low, and requiring 10AP to revive a zombie is too expensive. It is too easy to die and become a zombie, but too difficult to rise as a human again.

I'm just going stop playing this guy and concentrate on the other medic I have in the other map they created to celebrate the release of Diary of the Dead. Yeah, they created a map of Monroeville and tested some new game mechanics with it. Entry is now totally restricted though, so no new characters can be made. They also tested the idea of having no Revivification Syringes in this map, and zombies can be killed permanently with Headshot, a skill that only level ten guys can have. These two ideas conform to the modern lore on zombies, that they have to be shot in the head to really die, and zombies cannot become human again.

No comments:

Post a Comment