Monday 26 November 2012

Rant 1082 / Not Enough Pants

I actually forgot about getting earphones until I got the printer. The plan was to find the printer booths, ask for quotes and then get some earphones before actually buying the printer.


Then when I found the two booths selling Brother printers, I realized the brochures were exactly the same. I went straight to the conclusion that there was no difference which booth I bought from, so I asked the second booth, Harvey Norman, if I could switch the free speakers for another set of NTUC vouchers.

The MFC 7860 came with a set of $20 NTUC vouchers and a pair of X-Mini speakers supposedly worth $76, but neither my bro nor I have any need for crappy speakers like those.

The first person I asked, the girl who had handed me the brochure, told me that some of the promoters were looking to buy those speakers, but were only willing to pay $20.

In terms of value, that was what I had asked for. $20 cash instead of vouchers. But I had more than 1 set in mind even though I asked for only 1 set. It was just for probing for the possibility.

So she led me to another promoter and whispered something to him, which made me believe that the ones who gave out brochures weren't the same ones who did the sales. Anyway, I asked him exactly the same question and he told me that exchanges weren't allowed.

However, if I could give him the speakers, he would give me 10% off. I didn't expect that and $35 was much closer to the 2 sets of vouchers I wanted. So I said yes immediately.

He also threw in 2 reams of Xerox A4 paper which were of better quality than the ones we use in the office.

Not a bad deal overall.

After payment, I thought to find out if I got scammed. It wasn't important because I already got a better deal than I expected to get. Hence I asked him if 10% was the most he could have given me, adding that surely he could have given more, like 20%.

But he said no, this was the most he was allowed to give to help clear certain models on the last day. I guess this printer was selling more poorly than I thought it would.

Yet it also implies that if I had pushed harder, he might have given me the 10% anyway plus a little more from himself or other promoters for the speakers.

Regardless, it was already done and I was satisfied with the discount.
























Metro 2033 is performing quite amazingly TBH. It's been 2 years since its release and it's still getting a place in the top 20 on the top seller list on Steam. It's true that the discount has been at 75% for a long time now, at least a year I think, but most other indie games would have gone further by now.

























Now I know what PC fax means. I had thought this function was pretty redundant and I had spent some time trying to find a cheaper printer without this function.

It was only just now that I learnt I could use this function to turn my new office fax machine into a remote printer.

Woot!

Basically, this function allows me to fax documents from a PC to the fax machine. It's really no different from saying it's a remote printing function except this uses the telephone line instead.

Supposedly, this would mean that I'll have to connect a phone line to my PC, but the Internet is full of wonders, and I found websites that can replace it for free.

Some have ads but some, like this gotfreefax.com, merely limits the user to 2 free faxes a day and 3 pages per fax, ie 6 pages a day.

I AM FINE WITH THAT!

This is so frigging awesome.

EDIT: It appears that those sites I had found were only for US and Canada. So now I can only find one site, freepopfax.com, that works for SG. Not sure about the kind of ads it will include so I'm testing it tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment