Tuesday 13 November 2012

Rant 1078 / Lethal Vertical Marathons



Genuine IGN review :3


























Surprisingly, Gamespot gave Natural Selection 2 a 6.0 out of 10.

It made me read the review and realized the reviewer was actually full of shit.

First, right in the first paragraph, he's already made a factual mistake: it doesn't cost $30, it costs $25. Is he using the Singapore Dollar or what? Because US$25 is indeed S$30!

Second, steep learning curve. You can easily just stick with the marines who cannot possibly be hard to master - you just play a sci-fi version of CS!

Moreover, if this game is getting a low score for being too difficult, what about Starcraft and Starcraft 2?

9.1 and 9.5 respectively.

Wut?

So now Gamespot is saying that SC2 is a much easier game than NS2?

Wut?

But he did have a point: the graphics are getting a little old. That's unfortunately due to the fact that this game was made entirely by a few guys compared to the entire studios employed by large established game developers.

In fact, half the game, including the Spark engine it uses, was made by just 2-3 guys. It was only later when they resorted to selling the unfinished game as a beta version that they got the money to hire a few more people and rent an office.

Can't be helped.



As for other reviews, Gamespot seems to be the only site that gives such a low score to the game. Everyone else is giving it at least an 8 out of 10.



EDIT: Gamespot has just removed the review.





Dohohoho!


























Deadlight was short and easy. Interesting. The ending twist was not exactly mindblowing. But nice game.






















Mechwarrior has an online game. It's like CS with mechs.

In beta right now, looks interesting but only 4 maps. I'll wait.





















The khakis from Qoo10 arrived.

Though the packaging was trashy literally, the pants are actually much better than expected.

To clarify, the seller used black trash bags to wrap the pants. Maybe they weren't trash bags but they were black, thin and plastic - pretty much the definition of trash bags.

The pants are 100% cotton and not 99% or 97% like the ones from JShopper. Not sure how different this makes them and after trying them once, I can't tell.

These are khakis, so they are as baggy as the pants I used to wear in the past.

More comfortable but also the least formal of all long pants. I'll wear them on days when I'm only going to the office and nowhere else.

























Extremely crude but hilarious. Accent sounds Teochew.






















Towns is on Steam!

Strange because Steam usually only allows the sale of games that are at least near-completion, ie open beta.

Towns currently doesn't feel like it's anywhere close to completion. Maybe the devs have a surprise in store but I don't know.

I'm not saying it's not fun - it's probably my third favourite single-player game I have after the Mass Effect trilogy and two new Fallout games - but it's still lacking in a number of games, including polish.


























Planetside 2 has an awesome concept -  planetary war. It's big like Tribes but without the skiing and much bigger maps.

Instead of simply having individual large maps, in Planetside 2 they are merged to form whole continents on planets.

The basic concept is just capturing specific points in order to capture the maps. Capturing all the maps means capturing the continent.

It's a huge FPS.

With 3 factions, this goal is much harder than it seems.

Problem is that it's so big everyone seems to be lost on the faction I played in. There is absolutely no direction by anyone and no tutorial. I don't even know what the symbols on the minimap mean!

The worst thing is that there is zero communication. Nobody is saying anything nor do I know if there is a faction chat channel in the first place.

Maybe it's too big. That's what I think the issue is anyway. Everyone is spread out too much and the only people who knows what they're doing can only be in two or maybe even just one of the factions.

Because obviously, none of them were in mine when I played.




























So my iron blew a fuse.

I heard a pop from outside my room and my PC went dark.

So I looked around and saw that my motherboard's LED light was gone too.

When I got out, the housekeeper had stopped ironing and was giving me a puzzled look.

It was weird because the light in the living room was still on.

Took out the ladder and climbed up to the fuse box. Sure enough, one was down.

I flipped the switch and said it was ok.

Turned out I was wrong. The moment she hit the switch of the iron's outlet, sparks flew out together with the familiar pop sound.

She screamed and I stared.

Holy shit!

In the end, we agreed that it was the iron and she should finish the ironing next week. I'm so glad I still have one pair of brand new chinos that I forgot to dump into the washing machine, so I have enough to last the rest of the week.

Better still, the Philips Carnival Sale is on this weekend. What perfect timing!

Saturday's going to be a busy day. Not only do I have to go there, I'll also have to visit SAFRA to collect my fish oil that I ordered previously and buy the NTUC Fairprice vouchers.

And I was also considering visiting a Timberland store to get some polo tees to hit $250 for the Green Class VIP. Maybe, maybe not. Probably will, because the shirts and the fish oil won't be heavy, and the fish oil will fit in my bag.



2 short sleeve polos for $99 and 2 cotton tees for $59! I'll probably get 4 polos and 2 tees, although I'm not very interested in the tees. I still have a few that aren't faded and I don't really wear them anymore. Too casual for work on workdays. I'll see what they have that I need.

I'll need to look at the map to see in which order I should visit these three. The Carnival Sale is definitely going to be the third because the iron is bulky.
























My impression of a metropolis (or whatever they call their largest cities) of the future is simply a single structure.

I feel that this is just the most space-efficient way to place everything together.

Although this won't happen in our cities in this century or the next due obvious reasons, I believe eventually, some new developing country will try to build a new capital (or another city, but a capital seems more likely) that way.

Gone will be our current public transport systems. With an entire city indoor, we could use moving walkways on every level. Instead of driving cars, which statistically kill more people today both directly (accidents) and indirectly (air pollution) than any single disease, people will be using moving walkways (aka travelators, horizontal escalators etc etc), or maybe a version with seats on them.

A moving walkway with seats would have to be far longer than what we have today in order to both justify the need for seats and to allow passengers to have time to walk slowly to the seats.

I mean, obviously a very long travelator is going to be moving pretty damn fast too, so it's going to be hard to walk against the wind.

This would also mean that there may be slower travelators that people have to take before walking over to these long ones so that they can safely overcome the initial inertia.

It would be kind of like the sort described in Isaac Asimov's Robot series, with several differences of course.

Or they could enclose these long travelators in a tube to minimise air resistance by smoothing the air flow.

Just like there are private cars today, so there will be something similar when travelators become the primary mode of public transport.

But I can't make a guess that I feel any confidence in. The thing about inventions is that they often occur by accident. There is just no logical way to predict what is going to be the next technological revolution. For all I know, anti-gravity could be just a century away.



















I wonder if I should get Don't Starve. Looks interesting when I watch my bro play it.

But I'm not sure if I need another of this sort of game. I'm already playing the heck out of Towns and I have no need for more. Maybe I'll get it through some indie bundle shit or maybe I'll just get it in the coming Steam Christmas Sale.

Towns remains a great game for multi-tasking. I'm just playing it while doing other stuff. Took some time to get it that way (by building a vertical trap marathon) but it's working out fine currently.

Hinders movement a lot, even caused a few townies to starve, but it's worth the risks. Not only does it give my townies time to get to the chokepoint, it also kills off any small seiges without needing a single soldier.



My 5 levels of Hell. Currently incomplete due to my being too lazy to farm mushrooms for poison bottles. The lowest level is blocked by the wall but the entrance is visible on the bottom left corner. That's also next to the entrance to the underground levels so that if the heroes get chased by monsters, they would have the traps to help them.

I plan to expand this by building a larger complex and relocating the scaffolds. I'll also need a way to store food nearby so that hungry townies can get fed without having to go through the maze.

EDIT: This maze wasn't really working perfectly because I hadn't covered the side with a wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment