Saturday 24 November 2012

Rant 1080 / The Walking Dead Is Not Exactly A Game.





These commercials aren't new but I still find them hilarious.






















SC2 for US$20 on Black Friday. Holy crap!





























The other day, it came to my mind that I should consume those boxes of sliced ginseng from my relatives given to us when my mother was sick. This wasn't not the first time I thought about it but it was the first time I also thought that even if I am not going to use them, I should at least keep them in the fridge after checking for mould.

The boxes aren't sealed. Despite being Canadian ginseng, for some reason, the seller doesn't have the class to keep them in sealed boxes. Instead, they're just 2 plastic sides that are kept together with tape.

When I took them out, there was no mould.

Instead, the first box had a several weevils, as if it was rice that had been left exposed for a month. I see them all the time because I buy 10kg bags of rice and can't finish them soon enough.

My first response was to want to throw the box away. Then came the price of ginseng in my head. That made me recall that weevils and their eggs are not toxic nor dangerous to consume at all. I simply rinse my rice to get ride of them and still eat the rice anyway.

I googled this just to check, since the ginseng may not be cooked as thoroughly as rice, and confirmed it.

The second box had a pretty bad infestation.

Now they're both wrapped in a plastic bag and kept in the fridge. The cold should stop them from breeding. When I want any, I pick out a few slices and rinse them when necessary.

Next time, I'll need to to think about the boxes of chicken essence. These things were meant for my late mother so I can't simply re-gift them.





















Feels good to have my external hard disk back. I'm kinda paranoid about backups because I've lost files that were important to me before.

Those experiences taught me two things:

1) I can really do without them TBH
2) I should back up my backups just to avoid the initial wave of sadness over the loss.

Hence my two external hard disks. Both are WD My Book Essential but one is older and doesn't have the auto-backup function. The other does but I'm not sure how it works so I'm manually copying those important files over.
























The Walking Dead was at 50% off on Steam so I had to get it. Made sure it was US$12.50 for all five episodes before I bought the season pass.

Short, but great.

It's nothing like any other zombie games. Instead, it's more of an interactive movie. Combat is minimal and only involves clicking on the zombies. Mainly, this is about making choices, some of which were difficult.

The difficulty of the decisions is shown at the end of the episode when it tells me how many percents of other players made the same choices as I did, and 3 of them were close to 50%. Everyone's pretty divided on those issues, like whether the gun should be "lent" to someone who was bitten.

Reading it in comics and novels can be quite different from actually choosing it in the game, seriously.

Overall, very dramatic and very engrossing. This game needs to be played in one sitting though, or at least each episode.

Now, time for the next episode...

...

Episode 2 was more clear cut and had fewer painful choices to make. It was obvious according to the stats that most of the decisions were easy. However, that doesn't mean I'm choosing the same as the majority on everything.

In fact, for a lot of those decisions where it's almost 50/50, I tend to be on the minority side. Strange.

...

Episode 3 was more painful because of mostly just one part.

By now, I can confirm that combat is extremely easy in this game. The focus is on it being an interactive story and not really a game. Heck, I'd seriously categorize it as an interactive animated show rather than a game. There is no competition, there is minimal challenge and there is no score to keep.

Why would I call it a game at all?

Anyways, I'll just post the last screen of the episode with the spoilers covered up. Anyone who plays the game will know what this screen is and what I've done while those who don't gets to see what I've been talking about.



See? 4 of the 5 major decisions in this episodes has had everyone divided almost evenly, meaning these were difficult choices. Actually I didn't find the last choice painful but I guess people were too stuck with what they were taught from young to listen to logic. One was fit, the other was injured - the choice was very straightforward to me.

...

Episode 4 was sad. I'd love to finish the final episode now but it's 12am already.

But this game doesn't seem to be heading for a good ending :(

No comments:

Post a Comment