Monday 19 November 2012

Rant 1079 / WD RMA Successful!

IPT killed my mood since I woke up this morning.

It's been so long since I had to worry about this that I'm just not used to it again.

Getting it settled felt awesome but it doesn't happen often.

It's not just the thought of having to go all the way to the camp just to exercise that irks me but the also the likelihood that I'll have to attend all 18 sessions this year including 8 sessions of RT.

Last year things were easy because circumstances caused constant weight loss for months. This year, my weight has so far stayed at the exact same number despite my diet changes and increased fitness level.

It feels unlikely that I will be able to lose enough weight within the next 5.5 months. If I'm right, I need to lose 6kgs by May. That's 6kgs in 5.5 months, slightly faster than the rate I had last year.


























Rum and coke.

When I got this bottle of Cruzan Aged Rum, a dark rum, I had the mistaken impression that it was good for sipping like my cognac.

Nope. Sucks balls compared to cognac (hence the price of $45 online vs the $250 of the Remy Martin XO at the airport's duty-free shops).

With some Coke, however, it became a lot better.

Cuba Libre. No wonder it's one of the most popular classic cocktails in the world.

According to some google results, I should get Cruzan Single Malt instead if I wanted a rum for sipping. But it's not available at this online store I was buying from.

But still, it's not bad for a liquor at this price level.





















Went to Ikea and bought 2 rugs and a bath mat.

And some candles and a lamp.

Left the big candle on the cab or maybe it dropped out while I was trying to fit the rugs into the trunk :(

Oh well, it was only $3.90 anyway.

Pretty good deals, those candles at Ikea. I mean the unscented ones of course. The scented ones smell like crap, figuratively speaking.

Needed a rug because for some reason, my chair has begun to scrape off the top layer of my wooden floor.

My floorboards are planks that consist of this hard paper(?) layer covering the actual duller wood. This top layer is starting to come off bit by bit due to my chair.

Thus I thought a rug would stop this and simultaneously make my floor look better by covering up that scar.

Those 2 rugs and a bath mat already cost me about $125 so I thought I'd add a bit more to hit $150 and get the Ikea membership.

The first lamp I wanted cost $40 but it was sold out, so I picked the next best one that cost $20. Needed a little more to hit $150 so I got some candles too.


...

Holy crap! This beige Vate lamp is fantastic. When I spent like 15 minutes at the lighting section, I was really simply looking for a table lamp that suits the general woody rustic feel of my home and a low price.

Initially, I found a nice one but it cost $40 and the colour I wanted was out of stock.

So I looked around longer and settled for this Vate that looks like a lantern. Slightly too "classical" if you know what I mean, but it was only about half the price of the first or less.

Picked beige to suit the woody look of my home, plus a pair of 7W bulbs.

I didn't think it would have such a nice warm glow that I'm seeing now with my ceiling light off. Can't post a decent photo of it even though I wanted to because cameras either make it look too dark or too bright. I probably need more distance so that the glow doesn't affect the focus too much but my room isn't big enough.




The beige bath mat is great too. Probably because I have never used a bath mat before.

Previously, I have only used door mats and old towels for this purpose, so I didn't expect the luxurious softness under my feet until I used it. It's better than a carpet because it feels slightly elastic.

As for the rug, it does not blend in with my wooden floor as much as I had hoped for. Too modern and too much blue. Still, it's practical. Now I just need to find out what I should do if I drop food or liquid onto it, since I eat here.

At worst, there's always the dry cleaner nearby.

























Went to SAFRA to pick up my Ocean Health stuff on a Saturday only to learn that I should have called in advance so that they could prepare the bag for me at the reception counter. In addition, the office was closed on weekends so I couldn't get it on the spot.

Derp.

At least I could get the Choice vouchers ($92 for $100 worth per set, 2 sets per member) which ran out soon after I got there at 10.30am. They counted the number of sets of vouchers and asked everyone in the queue how many they were getting. Lots of them were bringing their parents and children together, all of whom probably have Dependents' Memberships, so they got 2 sets per person.

So they had to tell the people queueing after like 6-7 people behind me that there was no stock for them.

Took a whole hour before I got mine despite a rather short queue.

And this was the first day the vouchers were available this month, not to mention the counter opens at 9am.

In other words, those vouchers run out in less than 2 hours.

Then on the cab I thought since I was going to go again in the coming week to get my fish oil, and it didn't seem like a good idea to have full hands when I'm at the crowded Philips Carnival Sale, I decided to go to Timberland the next time I go to SAFRA instead.

That was halfway through the trip from SAFRA to Centrepoint, and fortunately I had planned my way so that Centrepoint was between Mount Faber SAFRA and Toa Payoh, just a little more eastward.

And fortunately I changed my mind then, because two irons needed a hand, so I could barely get my wallet out to pay for them even without the shirts I would have bought at Timberland.

Even luckier was that I found 4 tees my size in a stack of old clothes. I haven't completely cleared my home of my mother's stuff, so today after I got home I somehow felt like clearing out that stack of clothing before taking my shower.

That's when I find those clothes that I could wear. Must have been those excess ones that I never needed (I used to wear whichever shirt was on top) and eventually forgot about. Since the stack was in some dark corner, the shirts are still in perfect condition except pretty dusty.

That also reminded me that since a number of my shirts are from Giordano, I should be looking there instead of Timberland for new clothes. True that those polo shirts faded after a year but they must be cheap.

Thus I discovered that Giordano is having a big sale at IMM, a "relocation sale"! It was "probably" end on the 3rd of December.



Holy crap! I must go! Forget Timberland!

Should have checked Giordano long ago.

...

Went there on today (Monday).

$15 per polo shirt. Picked 4 immediately. Fortunately for me there were still a few XXLs around for the more popular colours like black. I think I got the last black XXL but there could be more hidden under the wagons for all I know.

I wanted to hit $100 to get the membership but my bro didn't need anything so I could only get $60.

Membership here would be really practical because their shirts fade within 2 years of constant wearing.

It's ok. I might pick more when there's a Christmas sale or something. The cashier told me I only needed to hit the $100 within 2 months, so I have up till January to do it. Nothing to worry about.

Hush Puppy was also having a sale. Apparently half the IMM was having a relocation sale, so it made me go through the whole mall.

The 2-piece packs of men's boxers and the 3-piece packs were all sold out by the time I got there, but I managed to find like 10 packets of 1-piece packs of my size. $8.90 a pack though, compared to the $13.90 for the 2-piece packs. Not exactly the best deal TBH but it's still not expensive for something of this quality.

The cherry on top of this good shopping trip is that, I realized when I saw a promotion poster on my way to the taxi stand, IMM is under Capitamalls - these receipts are going to give me points in the Capitastar programme!

























Best gf evah!

But in her defense, I must agree with the "experts" that it was partly his fault for spoiling her and compromising everything that he is for her sake, and partly her parents' fault for not teaching her basic courtesy.

This guy had no backbone and her parents sucked at parenting big time.

Also, he is one of the shallowest men I have ever seen.






















Just realized that I should be going to Dongdaemun instead of Myeongdong. Before, I didn't manage to find out where I should go to find wholesalers. I just did last night by accident.

Derp.

Fortunately for me, Dongdaemun is only a short train ride away from Myeongdong, and my hotel is close to a SMRT station.

I slightly worry over my ignorance of the Korean language but I've read that English signage is common in the downtown area. At worst I can call my hotel's front desk if I really need help with directions.

Even more worrying is how I'll be able to buy anything without knowing Korean when I am at the wholesalers.

Hence I'm thinking over the whole process of making wholesale orders face to face and listing down everything that I need. Next, I'll prepare all the factors so that minimal talk is required.

Won't be cheap, the things that I may buy, since it's Korea and I'll probably be a very ineffective haggler.

Also read that food delivery is common in Korea. I just need to find out the pronunciation of various common dishes, like bibimbap, then ask the hotel how I should pronounce my address, and I can order food to my room the way I did in Shanghai.

As for the possibility of the restaurant asking me if I want to add this or that to my order, I plan to end my order with "Hangook-mal mot haeyo." I'm sure it's going to be like ordering fish soup in Singapore without stating whether I want the fried or fresh fish, so it will be fine. At worst, the food doesn't come in an hour and I make another call. It's not like the hotel is going to charge me for domestic calls.

Apparently it's cheap because they return to their customers' addresses to take their reusable eating utensils back, so I have to try.





















This took so long I actually forgot all about it.


It's the replacement Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB I sent for RMA! It had stopped booting after I switched it off without ejecting it first.


Looks brand new. And I didn't even return the cables, so now I've a USB3.0 cable for free.

Maybe it's their way of saying "Sorry you broke our product", or maybe I'm just not trying to make sense here.

No comments:

Post a Comment