Thursday 26 August 2010

Rant 606 / Ships

I'd say both sides are overreacting. I agree partly with this Ghazali that the Committee is disappointing. Too many incidents that can be caused by overly stingy practices. Still, exaggeration and talking shit are the norm on the net.

Anyway I found the final line pretty humourous.

“Police should get a grip and let loose. We are a democracy.”

Yep we're a democracy which has never voted for a single president since independence. In some places they call this something else. As for me, I think our system is closer to constitutional monarchy. Of course, I don't know all the systems out there, so this may be far from the truth.












So psychopaths are really people who cannot feel emotions but pretend that they do. And that is what Dexter is.













Just finished watching Diamonds are Forever. Been spending every night before this watching Bond movies in chronological order except for those evenings when I have class.

Thunderball showed me why very few movies ever have underwater battles between divers. Unique idea? True. Problem is that it's as intense as watching two modern astronauts racing in a full marathon on the Moon. I'm not even exaggerating here.

Diamonds are Forever also showed that directors suck at making car chases back in the 70s. The chase sequence in this movie was... Well, I'm going to put it this way: I found the slice of Meat Galore pizza in my hand more exciting than the kind-of-speeding cars in the scene.













Wow 2 mouthfuls of tuna and half a glass of milk every 48 hours!





3 more months to dig them out. THREE MONTHS OF LIVING WITHOUT SUNLIGHT!

Holy shit! By the time they get out they will have to wear sunglasses constantly for a while. If not for the milk, they would also get Vit D deficiency too. But 3 months living in a hole. Wow. Wonder what the hygiene and sanitation levels are like down there.

The miners are in remarkable health, and have stripped off their shirts to cope with the heat.

Forgot about that. Well, since they've been down there for weeks, there's definitely enough air.













Been watching the video responses by the Old Spice guy on the Old Spice channel. Started out watching the advertisements but later went on to the responses he made to random questions.

His comments were pretty funny and his ads were fascinating. I just don't know how they come up with those ideas.



It is impossible to take your eyes off the ad once it begins.







I've been watching these while sailing in Uncharted Waters Online. Very nice game atm but it's only Closed Beta. There will be a cash shop later, most likely after Open Beta, which will change the game. So I can't say for sure if it will still be good then.

This game is all about sailing. You can play as an explorer, trader or pirate, ie explore, make money or rob traders. I've been playing as a trader and making money is quite easy actually. Pirates aren't a problem because as a trader, I have this skill "Escape" which gives me higher speed in exchange for higher vulnerability to damage.

I don't think there is much emphasis on combat, though it is there on both sea and land. I'll probably see it someday outside of tutorial combats when I have a bigger ship. Atm I really want a Galleas. That big ship looks really nice with all the oars.













2nd guy to be in trouble over blogs. What's with the pressure on bloggers?













Was reading my Managing Your Personal Finances textbook just now and found the part on wills and estates. When I got to the Intestate Succession Act, which in simpler terms is the law that states how your money will be split up after you die, I was reminded the time (my mum claimed) my aunt, aka my father's sister's daughter, asked our family's lawyer whom we hired to settle all the stuff that needed to be settled when my father died whether my father's side of the family have any right to his estate and assets.

I think I've talked about this law before, but I'll just see if I have it memorised...

First, if you have a surviving spouse and children, your properties will be split evenly among all of them, after taxes.

Second, if you have a surviving spouse, no kids but have parents, your stuff will be split among them equally.

Third.. shit, I can't remember.

*checks book*

I got it all wrong. :\

Here's the correct version:

Case 1: Surviving spouse and kids - half to spouse, half to children (split equally among children). If no living spouse, all to children.

Case 2: Surviving parents and spouse, no children - half to parents and half to spouse.

Case 3: Surviving parents and children, no spouse - all to children.

Case 4: No spouse, parents and children - all to siblings. If no siblings, all to grandparents. If those are gone too, it will be split among the uncles and aunts (c'mon everyone have those). If you don't have those either, the government gets everything. Friends don't count lol!


A will supersedes all the above, but it takes money and effort to make one.


Our lawyer wasn't impressed by the enquiry, especially since my father's body wasn't even cold yet, figuratively speaking, but he didn't have to lie to help us. The law was already on our side. But he did tell my mum about it and recommended changing the ownership of my father's company before they (my aunt and her now-divorced husband) did.

That they could do since my aunt had been helping my father when he got really sick before he died, and their next course of action was obvious to the lawyer if they found out what he had neglected to mention. He could have told them about it if he had wanted to help them.

Anyway they're still here in Singapore now. Probably thought winter wear was easy in tropical Singapore with little competition around. She later used up his entire life savings in the business and didn't make much out of it, which may have been one reason that led to their divorce.

Both of them still have separate businesses here. The guy is into summer wear though, which is much more competitive and requires faster transport because things get outdated and unsellable really quick. Outdated winter wear can still be sold if you slash the price enough.

Strangely enough, my aunt is still trying to fight with my mum's business by talking to the buyers, like telling them how some of our goods are produced at very cheap prices in China. I wonder what she has against us to have to resort to such low tricks. It would be interesting to know her side of the story. Never liked seeing real life events from only one angle.

They know she's lying about the prices because even they themselves have tried to go to China with my mum's designs to find cheaper prices and do away with the middleman. And failed, of course. The Chinese are really good at lying, a skill people tend to master when they live in poverty. My mum can detect their bullshit often enough only because she's been working with the textile industry for so long she can tell a fabric's material(s) and estimate the composition percentages by touch.

Ordinary customers can't do that but they know when they're trying on something that feels good, and the sales reflect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment