Thursday 17 June 2010

Rant 562 / I Am Getting Sick Too Often. I Must Be Getting Old.

After seeing all the news about the new 3D platforms coming out soon, my verdict is kind of not what I expected - I think I should wait. This seriously feels like those years when PC companies were coming out with newer specs every month. Didn't Wii just got released like a year or two ago? And now it's Kinect, Nintendo 3DS and Sony Move all at one go.

What's next?

Although I'm favouring Kinect, many of the games that I like on the 360 are also available on the PC, like L4D2 and Fallout 3. For such games, I always prefer to play the PC version because only on the computer can you download fan-made mods and plugins to make them more interesting and replayable. On all game consoles, you can only stick with the vanilla versions. This is probably the most important feature that makes PCs the best gaming platform out there.

Now I hope the Kinect can make gaming better. Still, who knows which games will support it in the future. They did say that there will be 20-30 games that will use it in the next few years but whether those are good is the most important factor. If Fallout 4 supports it, I may consider getting a 360 unless by that time they're also making Kinect for Windows.

Oh, and you can throw away your PSP now.













Found some mods/plugins for L4D2, starting to host games now with them. I have 3 mods: the L4DToolz, the Perks mod and the RPG mod.

Took some time to google and search them after trying them out in some random server other people hosted on Garena, thought they were quite fun to play with.

L4DToolz allows me to host a server with up to 32 slots, though I only use 8 due to the limits of my bandwidth and computer speeds. It's the most troublesome mod since I have to set the max human limit all the time in addition to the number of slots. In addition to the 4-player limit that I have to manually change, there is also the automatic kicking mechanism that starts whenever there are more than 4 human players in a coop game.

The Perks mod allows players to gain experience and get Perks, which are probably inspired by the feature of the same name from the Fallout series. Some of these Perks include increased damage and faster reloading speed. Quite useful.

The RPG mod allows stats to be gain also through experience points and levels. The available stats include the stereotypical stuff like Strength, Agility and Intelligence among others. These increases your damage, movement speed and etc depending on which you spend your points on.


There are many other mods, eg Nuke mod which allows the sniper rifle to shoot nukes when crouching, but they aren't very fun when I tried them. Those mods that increase the game's difficulty aren't so interesting either, for me anyway. I can easily just set the difficulty to Expert or host a Realism game instead of a Coop if I want it to be harder.

In Realism mode allies and items are not highlighted, making everything much harder to see and realistic. Weapon-wise, sniper rifles do not kill the common zombies with one shot unlike in Coop mode.


After playing this for some time, I'm finally noticing the limits of the headphones. Compared to headphones, speakers are pretty bad for playing L4D2. The best speakers can do is differentiate whether the sound comes from the right or left, while headphones allow you to hear whether it's from the front of back. Therefore, a player using headphones can almost see behind his head. I do that a lot, and I noticed that only when I saw that I was instinctively turning and meleeing before I could see which angle the zombie was running from with my eyes.

But like I've said at first, even headphones have their limit - they cannot tell you whether the sound is from above or below. This has been making me turn around more often than I'd like since it's unnecessarily distracting. Looking upwards does not help since my virtual head is unable to rotate 90 degrees upwards or downwards.

I wonder what I can do about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment