Thursday 23 July 2009

Rant 395 / Spin

They're going to make a movie out of WoW. Why am I not surprised? Why am I so excited by the news? =D








Bin Laden son
... isn't that bin bin Laden? Or bin Osama? As in Sa'ad bin Osama? Why Sa'ad bin Laden? It sounds like a very confusing incestuous story here (I know, all incest stories are confusing), where Osama and Sa'ad are both from the same father, except Sa'ad's father is also Osama. Wait I'm getting confused here. THIS ISN'T MAKING ANY SENSE!

Seriously, those Americunts...










Really, I have no idea how fantastic those parents have to be to raise such unhappy children. That these kids would insult me for helping newbies kill boss monsters is something quite beyond my comprehension.

You see, for the past 2 days, I've been going to the 2 low-level zones to help the lowbies kill bosses that they would otherwise have to form groups for. On the first night, I was unable to sleep so I played on to 6am. Between 3-6am I was doing nothing but killing low-level bosses for them. It was easy and my level 41 Rogue/39 Priest was practically impervious to anything in those 2 regions.

Then while I was asking in Zone Chat if anyone needed help, one person described me as annoying. That really annoyed me. In fact, I was quite ready to leave before I noticed that it was just that bitter little antisocial nerd saying that. And here, "antisocial" is being used quite appropriately to mean that not only does he have difficulty making friends (unless by friends you mean other antisocial nerds) but also, he repels other people quite naturally.

Well, it didn't stop me from going on because he didn't say anything after that. I pity people like him though. I mean, you'd have to be very unhappy to do things like that.

On the second night, I slept from 5 to 5. 5pm to 5am. Went back to do the same thing and again, one person taunted me again for what I did.

This time, this guy whispered (aka sent private message) to me about wanting to take my furnitures (they give experience bonus in this game). At first I thought it was a very new newbie, then when he repeated his request I realized he was just mocking me. For his second and third messages, I just replied with "lol". Let him figure out what that means, because I don't know. =P











Jaedong LOST! Well, at least it was at the Round of 8, unlike previous seasons. Still, he's NOT supposed to lose the way that he did in the second round versus Effort. Losing to a lousy Zergling rush, of all things! His Spawning Pool wasn't even up when the attack came. That was incredibly bad.

On the other hand, Flash was simply amazing in his match against July in the Round of 4. He was outnumbered and out-expanded in one round and still managed to win. Simply put, July was outclassed. I think Flash is the clear winner of this season, which isn't surprising since he was at 2nd place last season when he lost to Bisu at the final match.

Also, Flash's match against Shuttle was epic. For the first game, in Tasteless words, "This game is more awesome than a Tyrannosaurus Rex flying a jet." The balance of the game was like a see-saw throughout, swinging to and fro between the two players until eventually one of them conceded, though it wasn't because his base was about to be destroyed.

I was hoping for an epic Jaedong vs Flash match in the finals, but... oh well, too bad.

And in the Round of 8, the match between Berserker vs Tempest was pretty good too. The first game was particularly outstanding because Berserker won despite Tempest having the upper hand for most of that round. In fact for most of the game till near the end, I expected Berserker to lose. It was an amazing comeback, also partially aided by Tempest's complete lack of any Templars (which is widely considered a necessity in any long games)

The third game was disappointing though.

Btw Blizzard is joining in as a sponsor for this tournament, which already has the largest prize in Korea. As shown below, the total prize money was increased from 52k USD to 92k USD. Blizzard alone practically doubled the total prizes!


Also, the top prize was raised from US$32k to US$40k!!


Here's the explanation about the "Accumulated Total Money Received":

Anyone who gets into the Round of 16 automatically gets $2000 (thanks to Blizzard). Those among these 16 who win their way into the top 4 places get that $2000 and an extra $3000 just for entering the Round of 4 (thanks to Blizzard again). The 2 losers of the Round of 4, aka the 3rd and 4th place winners receive another $8000 for losing at this stage.

The 2nd prize winner gets his US$15k in addition to the previous $5k while the champion gets US$40k instead of US$15k. Hence,

Total top prize = $45,000 (previously only $32,000)
Runner-up prize = $20,000 (previously only $12,000)
3rd and 4th prize = $12,000 each
5th-16th = $2000 each

About the $2000 + $3000 + $8000 = $12,000, it's not an error. All the numbers are actually converted from the Korean Won into the US Dollar so that the international community can understand it more easily, therefore they're all estimates.

Basically Blizzard is sponsoring all the consolation prizes and not actually encouraging the top winners. What I think it means is that instead of supporting elitism among the best players, it's trying to encourage new players to try to get into the tournament. Even if they don't get to the top, they can still win some money if they don't suck.

In my opinion, anyone who gets into the Round of 16 qualifies as a "good player" already. I mean, you have to remember it started from the Round of 128. The top 16 is also the top 12.5% (aka top eighth) of all the contestants (all of whom are professional players) in this tournament.








The Onion News Network has been sold to the Chinese... or so the story goes. Now all the stories are written in an obviously biased way. Even the latest video was made with the American sterotype of the Chinese in mind.







How undereducated we are about AIDS! Or at least, me. Remember the rant about the taxi driver who hated/feared homosexuals because of HIV and his example of how others could get infect if his saliva lands on your belongings?

This is nonsense.

In order to infect a human, there needs to be a significant quantity of the virus entering the body. Saliva can contain the virus, but it is in such tiny amounts that even if you kiss mouth-to-mouth with a person with it, you cannot be infected.

In this scenario, the uninfected person would have to have open wounds in the mouth or seriously bleeding gums to get enough of the virus. In such a situation, why would that person kiss anyone in the first place?

Same with sneezing or swimming in the same pool. The incredibly tiny dose in saliva is practically negligible, ie it's close to impossible for HIV+ saliva to infect healthy people. Hence even if a HIV+ person sneezes towards your face, it is highly unlikely that you'll get the virus.

Blood on the other hand is a very good source of the virus, so if that person is coughing/sneezing blood, it is advisable to take certain precautions.

There was a story of an American child born HIV+ who was banned from his local swimming pool when the town learnt of his condition. Eventually this story caused outrage on 4chan, where members turned it into a meme.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Pool%27s_Closed

In the middle of the above page is the story behind the meme, Pool's Closed Due To AIDS, that turned into the Great Habbo Raid of 2006 in which certain bored people (except me) made Habbo characters that are black, wearing black suits and sporting Afros blocking the way to swimming pools, all the while repeating the meme.


I like their causes; I just dislike their methods.









Finally reached Ravenfell, the highest level zone in Runes of Magic. It's definitely more colourful than Dust Devil Canyon where I had been leveling at between lv39-44. Now I can safely say my character has a high level.

Joined a raid group to kill the Binpikes at Ystra just now. A raid group is an enlarged group that can contain up to 6 normal groups which consist of 6 players max. The raid was a failure.

The Binpike brothers are two lvl 50 Epic bosses (Epic refers to its status which is superior to normal bosses) that are insanely huge and incredibly strong, and meant to be fought one by one. Once the battle begins, everyone in the raid gets damaged every 2 seconds, the damage depending on the personal stats. For me, I took 282 damage per tick (while my Regeneration spell only healed 220 hp every 2 second). Meanwhile the main tank would try to get all the agro while all the healers just concentrate on healing him.

To even have a chance of surviving the fight, the main tank must have at least 10k hp and everyone in the raid group must be at least lv45 (I'm lv46). It wasn't easy but we managed to find one such tank. This is necessary because there have been accounts of tanks being hit for 10k damage. The average lv50 tank with no very special gear only has 4-6k hp.

In the end the 24-man group still couldn't do it. All I got from the run was 90k exp debt from the deaths. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment