Friday 3 July 2009

Rant 385 / If There's Something Strange In Your Underwear, Who Do You Call?

One major problem with having no skill with long-ranged weapons in Mass Effect is that my severe handicap when I encounter enemies in the open when exploring planets. My standard strategy for the last 2 runs was to simply snipe every single thing that walks. That includes those giant robots. Yes, I snipe those too even if my best rifle merely scratches it glossy waxed surface.

I think I get more experience when I kill them with my guns than with my Mako. Also, it's so fun to kill everything with my sniper rifle. Speaking of fun, this lack of sniping is making me reconsider this run. Why play if it's not fun?

Hell, I'm going to redo this run. I haven't done much anyway, so it's still not too late. Plus I'll get to test my theory on getting the two awards for using Liara and Tali for most of the game.

Or maybe I'll play Fallout 3 again for the Point Lookout expansion.











An Australian guy embezzled a lot of virtual money from the largest player-run bank in an well-known online game called Eve Online. That guy is actually one of the players who work in the bank, so this is an inside job.

All he got was a permanent ban from the game. If I were him I'd switch on some firewalls or maybe even stay offline for a few weeks.









This video is amazing!

While there have been literally tens of thousands of news stories, editorials, and documentary pieces covering the street preaching ministry of Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church, nearly every one of them is inundated with fag media spin - that is to say, they all attempt, at some level, to vilify, demonize and marginalize the pure Bible perspective of this church. It is no surprise that, when it comes to Bible truth, there is no clear, accurate and objective reporting - all media is fag media - dominated and run by fags and their enablers. 'Hatemongers' is, however, one of the only documentary films that paints the tiny church in its true light, letting the voices of her members speak, without clouding the air with a fag-and-flag-worshipping slanted narration. It is perhaps the only true saga of this tiny New Testament church, her pastor, members and amazing, worldwide ministry.











This thread at MS Answers is hilarious. The question was:

I've noticed that as I copy data/install programs on my Laptop, the weight of the Laptop increases. I have a bad back and am medically limited on the amount of weight I can carry so I need to be very carefull not to inflict injury upon myself.

I have also noticed my XBox feels heavier as well (the more games I save or purchase from arcade). I generally don't travel with my XBox so that is not an issue for me, but note the I am having the same results.

My ask, what is the weight/file ratio? So for example, how many GB's = 6oz? I dread the day I need a dolly to commute to work with my Laptop.


Answers include:

"Dear friend:

Every Gigabyte counts as 5oz of extra weight for your computer.There has been cases (in computers with 1Tb of Hard drive and more) of people left eMule activated 3 days and when that people returned to the computer,there was a hole in the floor instead.

Maybe you should try a compression software (like 7zip for example) which help reducing the data's weight.

Take care of those P2P software that quickly increase your data.Watch out and be careful.

Use MS-DOS to drastically reduce data weight.

Greetings from Spain!"



"It depends on the size of the gigabyte, if it's a bigger gigabyte it will weigh more (like a normal bite of your Mcdonalds) ...the bigger the byte the more energy (jiggawatts) it will consume and therefore weigh more. Using the formula w=g/j (weight = gigabytes/jiggawatts) you will see how much the weight will increase. Avoid .exe files as they are really heavy according to Christophé Toffy Brun in his 1908 memoirs..."




" I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. The fact is that the equation to which you refer (discovered in the XVIIII century, by Lineus Torvaldus) involves gigabytes AND giggawatts (as opposed to your "jiggawatts" which have been deprecated). The correct form is>
"weight of data equals gigabytes divided by giggawatts" or wD=g/g Basic algebra shows that g/g=1, so wD=1 Divide both sides by D... w(D/D) = 1/D thus eliminating (D/D) it renders. w = 1/D Which reads: "The weight is the inverse of the Data" This is the formal mathematical proof that the more data you store, the LESS the computer weights. If anything, this person should put his hamburger ON TOP of the laptop, to act as a paperwieght. Elmer Homero"

LOL!







Today when I turned on my desktop, something really scary happened.

It didn't boot.

The "Busy" light blinked, the locks lights (numlock and etc) blinked in unison and then... nothing happened. The computer still appeared to be running but throughout this whole time, not a single bit of data went to my monitor. My monitor merely displaced the message "No video input" and went into Sleep Mode.

The computer still responded to my pressing Numlock and the other locks, and it also resets when I press Ctrl-Alt-Del once. Resetting it serves no purpose because it simply just repeat the whole pointless 2-second-long process.

Right away, I tried putting in the Windows CD. Anything was better than nothing! But nothing was the response I got.

Next I opened the motherboard's manual. There, troubleshoot section! I flipped to that single page and... it told me to go to its website. Fine, I took out my laptop and went straight to the address it gave, only to be redirected to www.globaltv.com. Apparently they had changed their address and didn't update their manual.

So I googled MSI and went to their Customer Service section. I looked up Warranty service and guess what... stuff sold from July 2003 is warranted only by the original manufacturer. So I assumed they're not the original manufacturer.

Then I looked again into the box of all the stuff from my desktop purchase. I had took out all the CDs, cables and etc and put them into my motherboard's box. There, on the cover of the box! The label says "3 YEARS WARRANTY BY CORBELL".

Without hesitation, I googled Corbell, found their website, which was basically a webpage telling customers how to contact them via phone, email, bus or MRT. Their other website is a blogspot page. Copying their email, I logged in to my email and sent them an email describing my dire situation and asking for help.

After that, I had nothing to do anymore but wait for a reply. At that point I had only 2 options there:

1) Play games on my laptop (ie relive the bad old days).
2) Anything else.

I picked 2, and decided to give my desktop yet another chance. It's like when you're in really deep shit and you've no options whatsoever and you just keep on trying the same old method even if it had been proven ineffective.

I switched it off, went to answer the call of nature, returned and press the power button.

IT BOOTED PERFECTLY AND HERE I AM BLOGGING ABOUT ASOLUTELY NOTHING OF CONSEQUENCE!!!

I'm still curious why this happened though. It should never have had any problem booting. I'm not going to email Corbell to cancel the last email so that I can ask them if something is really wrong despite its perfect performance now.











Air New Zealand is using a new advertising tactic. Their latest commercial features their staff wearing only body paint and uses camera angles to cover the R21 parts of their bodies. The air safety video is also done in the same way, which I think is a good idea because no one ever watches those videos when in a plane. This may just pull a few more eyes to the screen when they teach the passengers about the procedures.





=D

No comments:

Post a Comment