Saturday 11 July 2009

Rant 391 / "Pass Motion" Is An Asian Term


New Live Poll Allows Pundits To Pander To Viewers In Real Time












I have never tried to kill one of those giant worm things in Mass Effect with a sniper rifle. Until today, that is. I was toying with it by trimming its HP down to a pixel's width with my Mako's machine gun while dodging its attacks when I decided to try it. I've always noticed how I gain much more experience and loot if I kill certain things with my guns instead of the tank's, but I didn't know what I would get if I do the same with the giant worms.

So when I got it down to the barest minimum HP, I tried to trim it even more by tapping my mouse button to shoot a little more with my tank's machine gun. This was because I thought my rifle couldn't kill it with a single shot even if it still had a pixel's width of HP. Miraculously, it was still alive when I just managed to get it's health bar to nothing. Yep, no red colour left but still alive. I smiled and got out of my tank immediately after dodging the next shot.

1 shot, 1 kill.

Reward: 7000 credits and 862 exp.

You don't get that killing it with a tank. From now on, my tank kills absolutely nothing. I've already been killing Geth Armatures and etc with my sniping skills. Now, even these worms will die by my rifle bullets.

In case you don't know, you can trim the enemies' HP with your tank's cannon at first, then machine gun when it's going to be killed by one more cannon shot. Most enemies are ready to be killed by a single shot when they have a pixel's width of HP left.

Actually, killing everything with my rifle is the only way I can keep a full inventory of grenades. I use a lot of grenades in difficult situations and they can't be bought from stores. Only by killing tough enemies do I get them. In addition, I get extra loots too.

Update: Woot! Did it again and got 11000 credits and 1000 exp this time!








I have to admit, I suck at shooting in FPS. It's hard to deny it when the recorded stats are there. I can barely push my k/d rate above 0.7, even though my headshot rate has risen to almost 0.1 per kill.













Obama spends more money in a desperate attempt to appease the general public as the unemployment rate in the US rise to 9.5% in June and showing no signs of stopping in July. 787 billion USD can't be anything but desperation.

10% unemployment rate. Every one in ten people. This isn't a recession; it's looking more like a breakdown. Their economy doesn't need more fuel, but a major overhaul.








Now they say Dick Cheney had a secret programme after the 9/11 incident that he didn't disclose even to his Congress. Oh yes, they claim it was cancelled before it even got started, but somehow I doubt that. If they had lied about this programme's existence since 2001, I don't see how lying about its status is beyond anyone involved.

It is still a secret programme, so no details of it can be found in the Reuters report.

Cheney is a Republican and Republicans are supposed to be more "conservative" and religious. Despite that Democrats are supposed to be the "liberal" ones, here we have Obama stopping the tortures on terrorist suspects that Cheney supported.

I guess a conservative person these days means the sort who doesn't want to stop the interrogation practices of the last 2 world wars, and being religious doesn't stop anyone from supporting torture.












Was playing Natural Selection when I accidentally stepped on something soft. While it's totally normal for me to shift my feet while gaming, it is totally abnormal for me to step on something squishy. My room is clean enough not to have ants, which have already infested my kitchen and part of the living room (and for some reason, invading my bathroom). I show no mercy when I see them - in my bathroom, I wash every single ant I see away with my shower head; in the kitchen I burn them up using the lighter aka mini-flamethrower.

Anyway, the moment I stepped on it and felt its softness, I looked under the desk right away, expecting to see a trace of food that I had somehow managed to leave under there. No, it was a bug. In the darkness of my desk's silhouette, it was a long (about 2cm) grey bug.

I stood up right away and turned on the lights to get a better view of it. It was not grey, but glossy green. Long, glossy green... dragonfly!

To make a long story short, I captured it with a clear plastic microwave-safe container. I tried to identify it but my Entomologist skill is only at Level One due to my character's City Dweller build. The best idea I could come up with was that it was not a spider and was probably a dragonfly.

6 legs, segmented body with 3 parts, 2 long antennae that can curl, glossy green body, 3mm-long curved pincers and 2 small wings. It had lost 2 left legs, so it is also likely it had started life with 4 wings and lost 2 of the larger ones.

It doesn't seem to be able to fly, which supports my theory that it had more wings originally, but it is also quite likely it is too weak to fly. The latter might have been caused by the same incident that took its legs or by my foot. Either way, I had to search for it on Google.

Googling "singapore dragonflies" gave me one website that had a very limited gallery of local dragonflies. I then used words like green, insect, wings, glossy, long and asian in various combinations, only to end up with vague ideas of what it is.

First, it was no dragonfly. Dragonflies have long thin bodies and huge wings. Second, it was very likely to be a wasp. It still gives me goosebumps now to think I had accidentally stepped on a fucking wasp with my bare foot. Seriously, even if it didn't have that sting, the pincers are still pretty scary.

I tried to take some photos of it to ask experts to identify, but now I'm quite sure it's a wasp. I know it's racism, but now that I know it's a wasp, I don't care what type of wasp it is. Of the 20 shots I took, only this photo is clear.

It's so glossy and not very dangerous-looking from the top, but from the bottom the pincers are visible. I'm surprised it didn't use it on my foot. It was probably very frightened by my presence, but not scared enough to bite.


I'm not quite sure what to do with it. It's going to die whether I throw it out or leave it here to starve. Upon closer inspection, I managed to observe its sting while it passed motion. Not exactly a comforting sight, seeing the 1mm long and, frankly, very sharp-looking thing poking out of its ass.

I'm going to throw it into the rubbish chute tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment