Thursday 28 February 2008

Rant 097 / Mentos + Coke = Whatever...

It's not everyday that I get to see cute girls up close. Not every class has attractive looking ladies. Thus I attend every NTU TMC meeting whenever I can. Which means I haven't missed one before.

There is this non Singaporean girl in the club who is quite pretty, but simply too young and innocent. Innocent as in naive. You can tell what kind of person a member is by listening to the speeches he or she made, and I can tell, she really is young, both physically and mentally. At first, I thought she was nice, approachable, and friendly. But after a while, I decided she was just another pretty face. With a strong accent in her English.

Too... child-like. It's nice to be like that, but not nice to be with someone like that.




But it's not like I'm such a fantastic person either. I am no conversationalist. I don't start conversations, but I end them pretty often. I can speak decently, I have received praises for my Table Topics speeches outside the meetings, but I have never won a prize for it. That means I can talk, but just not well enough. And not interested enough.

Neither am I very approachable. It is unreasonably hard to contact me through my phone, and I don't socialize like the rest. I do better in group conversations, making interesting comments once in a while, but I'm not the sort who can talk all the time.

Basically, I don't like to talk face to face. I feel more restrained when I see the person physically. And I have less time to think when I talk to the person directly. Sometimes, things just slip from my lips and I have to make sudden adjustments to my following lines to smoothen things again. These don't happen online.




Just watched Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead. I think that in addition to being horror flicks, they also explore the more primitive nature of people. I could see how different people behave in desperate situations, and how they treat their loved ones in such times. Sometimes, their reactions are illogical to me, but I guess it can be possible that some people are crazy in such ways.

What truly defines who you are, is how you react to problems when there is no time to think. It immediately reveals the core of yourself, without all the sugar coating and plastic masks. And you can see all these in the zombie films, whether they just run and hide, or try to save others.





I was pleasantly surprise when my evaluator insisted that I had rehearsed before doing my 2nd prepared speech. I was about to tell him I didn't, but decided to keep my mouth shut. I thought it would insult him if I did tell him, because I know he's the sort who has to rehearse each speech for at least half an hour to deliver it smoothly.

In fact, I have never even mouthed the words before the presentation itself. I have only imagined the speech, and didn't even want to write a script. It was only on the afternoon during that day, when I decided to have some insurance, just in case I panic. So I wrote down the main points on half an A4 paper, and that was it!

Of course, it helped tremendously that I chose a topic I was familiar with (again). GAMING! For that speech, I spoke on how gaming can be considered as a real sport, and how lucrative it already is to be a professional gamer in countries like South Korea. The little research on the prize money of WCG really helped to attract attention. 20k USD for the gold medalist for WC3 in 2007. Win that, and you can stop working for a year.

Unlike many others who like to talk about deep stuff that they may not be familiar with (sometimes), I do not like to do anything like that. I dislike rehearsals. Rehearsals make me want to remember the whole speech word for word, and that isn't good. But that is exactly what many people do! It is simple, definitely, but not easy. I prefer the easy, yet not simple.

This way, I prevent myself from using long, difficult words that not all may understand. I have seen this happen, and it is definitely not useful in conveying messages to the whole audience. It does add some class to the speech, but the usefulness is merely superficial.




I haven't played Sins of a Solar Empire since my last update haha! Stopped playing, because I am now really back into Natural Selection. It's not only the game itself that attracts me, but the interaction with others, and listening to their crazy conversations that brings me back. The Americans are really free with their mouths, and the Europeans aren't all that far from that. Singaporeans don't talk, and I don't understand Korean nor Japanese when I join their servers.

I have also got my hands on a copy of Sword of the Stars! It's like a sci-fi version of the Civilization series. Haven't played yet, but it looks nice.





The NTU TMC bbq was nice. The cute girls didn't attend. It made me cry. Kidding. About the crying.

I took some videos at first, but was too distracted by the food later. And I also learnt not to buy pre-marinated food from supermarkets because the stuff they use don't always suit our tastes.

We tried to do the Mentos/Coke experiment. One guy spent some money for a 1.5L bottle of Coke and a bar of Mentos. He placed the bottle on the table, opened it, and slip all the Mentos into the bottle. It didn't explode. It merely foamed like mad, but the fountain was not impressive. I wanted some mad explosions! Foam doesn't count...

At least I get to know them better.

No comments:

Post a Comment