Thursday 12 April 2007

Rant 049 / I Came, I Yawned, I Concurred

The last 2 movies I watched involving magicians and their acts were really interesting. The Illusionist and The Prestige were pretty cool. Usually you'd know, roughly, what to expect in the end of most films, but in these two, the plots are similar to good magic tricks - the actions of the artists always guide your minds away from the truth.

The plots in both are deeply intertwined with two magic tricks, one for each. Each magic trick is fascinating by themselves, and immediately sets you thinking about how they accomplished the tricks.

Warning: The following text might contain spoilers. This makes the article more aerodynamic, and thus more maneuverable at high speeds. Take caution and carry a first-aid kit at all times if you don't know that Snape kills Dumbledore, Prince Arthas kills his father and, in the expansion pack, merges with the Lich King, the Elites, Hunters, and most of the Grunts all rebel against the Hierarchs and civil war ensues on High Charity, Church gets killed by Caboose by accident, but then comes back as a ghost, Tony gets shot by Chino and dies in Maria's arms, the *real* final boss isn't this guy, it's the Ur-Grue, the Wizard of Yendor comes back to life, Michael Newman wakes up in Bed, Bath and Beyond and discovers it was all a dream, Nately's Whore falls in love with Nately, but only after he dies, and Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

I copied the above paragraph from Uncyclopedia. And it's true. Spoilers below. And above, if you're unfortunate enough to be reading/going to read or watch the stuff mentioned. LOL!

In The Prestige, the secrets behind the trick for each of the two magicians involved are nothing the viewer could have expected when watching the film. Even the seemingly fully described mechanism invented by Dr Tesla in the film has a stunning secret behind it. Well, not anymore if are reading this LOL! After watching it, one of the words that may very likely be in your mind would be "Whoa!"


In The Illusionist, the whole plot is a trick! Everyone gets tricked, except the magician and his lover. Yes, everyone including the audience. In fact, there is a trick in this movie that makes you think it is done in a way that it is not, even though they have shown you how they do it. A trick behind a trick, I guess.

I like watching magic tricks. And it's true that I don't search for the secrets behind tricks because I want to be tricked.

Btw I only understand the parts about Snape/Dumbledore, Arthas/Lich King and Soylent Green. I hope I won't be reading anything that involves the rest of the characters LOL!

And all the blue words are links to articles. Uncyclopedia is so crazy it has articles on "This guy", "That guy" and "Some guy" ROFL! 3 different articles, I assure you. Other seemingly pointless articles include "Me", "You", "Him", "Her", "Them", "They" "I", "It". Most of them aren't as funny as the fact that they are actually there :D .

Uncyclopedia has many of its articles themed according to their titles. Like the article on "Morse Code" is entirely in Morse Code, the one on "Binary Code" is completely typed in binary code and etc. Heck, even "Dyslexia" is created such that it appears like what dyslexics see words as. Just search for "Dilsexya"...






It always amazes me what people can whine about. Like in this C&C3 forum I visited, someone was complaining that players can't build walls in the game. I'm waiting for someone to whine about why players can't build concrete floors the way we did in RA2.

Tanks/planes can shoot over walls, obviously, so they don't protect anything against these two. Infantry cannot get past walls, but who uses only infantry to attack any bases?

And why would anyone need walls, since a defensive stance has never won anyone any tournament? Turtling is only useful to a degree, but to go to the extent of building a walled fortress is pointless - artilleries will raze the defenses.

In Supreme Commander, players can build walls, but they're never used in normal games. They're there only to make the campaign scenarios look good.

This is not the first time I'm stunned by this sort of thing. We call ourselves intelligent lifeforms but obviously this doesn't apply to some.





What makes a good conversationalist? I know how to be a bad one, too well for my liking. I don't talk much to anyone simply because I cannot think of anything interesting to talk about with anybody.

Maybe it is because I have nothing in common with anyone? Maybe I have to fake interest sometimes. I am never interested in talking about things that I know the other person already knows, because we both know them!

Many times I have found myself disagreeing with people simply to lengthen the conversation. I mean, what's there to say if we all agree on the matter? We all say yes and that's it.

Do I gossip? I don't know. I don't bother to remember rumours and stuff anyway.

And I don't volunteer my opinions on most things because I'm usually not interested in your opinions. Unless it's a place I'm planning to go, or something I'm going to be involved in.

I haven't been observing my own actions enough to understand what stops me from talking. Usually I'm the one who stays silent in conversations and only interrupts once in a while to contribute a comment here and there. I do not initiate conversations, but I do end them often by being silent. Hell, maybe I can be considered as a good listener LOL!

Even if I can somehow chat for an extended period of time, I cannot focus on any one topic throughout a conversation. I do not have much to say about anything, and I noticed I tend to "jump around" during any chats.

Sometimes people ask me questions that I have no decent answer for, like "What's up?" In my present situation, nothing's up. I'm staying home all day playing pc games and reading and enjoying my last days of worry-free holidays. How many words can I use to describe nothing? Well, a lot, actually, but none are things that people would say in most conversations.

What sort of a problem do I have, if it is a problem at all?

If this is not a problem, then I have just described nothing with 9 paragraphs. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment