Sunday 18 August 2013

Rant 1165 / Supersonic Download Speed

So I'm doing an experiment.

And also because it's been hot.

I'm switching on my air-conditioner 24 hours a day at the lowest fan speed, 27-29 degrees Celsius and always aimed at me. I've taken a photo of our electric meter on the first day so that I can get a clearer measure of our electrical usage than what is shown on the bill.

And it's not on Auto-mode. For some reason, although everyone seems to be saying that it's better to use that mode so that it will automatically cool the room to the specified temperature and stop, I find that simply keeping it down to the lowest fan speed lets the compressor outside run even lesser.

It's true that the temperature of the room may never reach the temperature I want but since it's always blowing at me, that doesn't really matter.

What I really want to know here is how much more this will cost compared to switching on my fan at full blast 24/7.

The best way to find out is probably to do this for 2 months, since they come over to check the meter every fortnight, and it also serves the purpose of getting myself slightly more ready for the cold temperatures of my overseas trips in about 3-4 months.

But that may be too expensive.


...


Stopped after 3 days. According to my photos, it spiked quite a bit. My bill, which stated that the latest reading was taken after the three days, was also higher than previous months by about 100-150kWh.

A rough estimate would be an extra 30-50kWh per day. Seriously.

At the current month's rate of S$0.2595/kWh, if I leave my airconditioner on 24/7 for the entire month, I'll be paying an additional $230-390
























Installed Cat 6 LAN cables in my home. My bro found a guy who does it cheap and doesn't provide invoices so probably a side job.

Now I'm surfing the net at the speed of light. Not really, just getting the advertised speed of over 150Mbps for both my bro's room and mine. Using a CAT 5 cable to connect from the socket to my PC.

Strangely, the speed does not improve if both wireless and cable were used simultaneously. With both my download speed was over 60 instead of 150. Really counter-intuitive.

This really wasn't important to me since 60 is more than enough for my usage but my bro's been getting really bad signal despite placing an antenna outside his room. For some reason, 2 concrete walls really make a huge difference, and the antenna doesn't help because it's blocked by a corner.

So it was really for him. Since he was needing two points in his room, the guy offered him a cheaper rate for the third one and so I took it too. Now the wireless connection shall be for mobile devices only.

One thing that didn't turn out as expected was that my bro didn't get a cable that was long enough, so now it's kinda ugly.

























Payday 2 is awesome with good pub players. Did the Rats missions twice. First time, I had never done it before even though I was already level 21, so the host gave me a thorough briefing before every mission.

Turned out fantastic. Over half a million dollars after each Rats run and all of my 7 skill points could  finally be spent till there was more money than points. Now I am equipped with faster drills and a more accurate sentry gun.

The sentry gun does have a huge limitation though - ammo. The skill tree allows me to upgrade its health before ammo capacity, but health is the last thing anyone needs to worry about because it always survives long after it runs out of bullets. It cannot be repaired not replenished.

However, that thing is awesome in large open areas when it's active. After it was set up in one mission, all my teammates just stopped firing and watched the massacre. For a while, at least. Then it ran out of ammo and we had to resume shooting again.

Now it's obvious it's meant to provide covering fire when we need some, like when we are trying to run to the escape vans.























Removed the two old RAM sticks that were taken from the old computer. After installing them, I had a few crashes and sudden shutdowns once in a while. There should not be any from now on, but if there are, the sticks will go right back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment