Thursday 18 July 2013

Rant 1159 / Leverage Is A Nice Show

One thing I have finally concluded is that my days as a wholesaler is numbered. The small wholesaler is obsolete in today's economy in which retailers deal directly with manufacturers. Before, retailers tend to not have the capital nor capacity to handle large amounts of goods, hence we come into do it for them.

No such thing now. Large retailers can easily do it themselves while small retailers would rather scrimp on a few dollars and try to deal with the manufacturers' retail prices themselves. In fact, international brands can do my job better than I do and they're everywhere. While I order my designs by the hundreds, Uniqlo manufactures by the hundreds of thousands. Even though their jackets are thinner, their marketing allows them to sell at comparable prices.

My business has no future; what is important now is what I am going to do about this.

And to think I was planning long term for this. There is no long term in this path; it's nearing its end within a decade.

Going online means becoming a retailer myself. Good as a side income.

Considering the option of investing all that I have on dividend stocks. Not REITs. Not sure why they're still recommending REITs. Interest rates are rising and rents are dropping. Too late to jump on the bandwagon. Maybe the experts are trying to keep the prices up while they sell away everything.

Now I see why businesses eventually fail. Not because the owner is incompetent but because of market forces. Adapting is one thing but this requires a complete change in what my business does. To adapt is to change one or a few aspects of my business and let the core remain the same. I can't allow the core to remain here - the core is the problem, and to change it is the solution.









































Feel like making 卤水 lu3 shui3 but my fridge is full :(

One of the biggest item is the two containers of pork bolognese I made last night. 500g of pork, 3 tomatoes, 1 onion and a whole jar of bolognese sauce there. Should last a week or more at the rate I'm going since I'm taking it slow.

With so many ingredients in my fridge, I'm having 3 or 4 courses every night. Just small amounts of each, like tonight, I had a handful of linguine with the bolognese, a whole grilled sanma fish (first time gutting a fish myself because usually I buy from a fishmonger who does it for me), a few slices of salami and some chicken wings that were having a promotional discount at Cold Storage (S$4.99 for 5 so I got my bro to buy 10).

Speaking of gutting a thawed frozen fish, I didn't manage to clean it enough so I had to scrape the insides a bit more while I ate. I'm familiar with the taste of a poorly gutted fish so it wasn't anything unusual, although I think it might be disgusting to some.

But I did find some roe instead. What a pleasant surprise that was. Ok, so I admit I wasn't entirely sure whether it was roe since this was my first time, but it looked like squid roe (I've gutted squids before), so I placed it next to the fish on the aluminium foil to grill it.

The taste test confirmed it was roe, so now I know what raw fish roe among fish guts looks like.

Other stuff I have filling up my fridge are mainly vegetables. Normally I buy a whole load of those and fill up half my fridge with them. It's ok because I have a terrapin and anything that wilts gets chopped up and thrown into the tank. No waste. And of course I remove any rotting parts beforehand.

Except for onions and garlics. Spring onions are the worst so I don't buy a lot of those. They're highly necessary for a lot of Chinese dishes but they don't last very long (dry up quickly in the fridge although some parts remain edible for more than a week). Still, they're long and fragile, hence they take up a lot of space.



Anyway, google calls 卤水 "brine" and "bittern" but those nowhere close to what I meant.



It's basically a gravy that can be cooked with any kind of meat, inner organs and eggs. It's probably been a year since I last made it but now I'm in the mood since I bought 2kgs of frozen mid-joint chicken wings last week, 6 fresh whole chicken legs and 20 of the largest chicken eggs I can find in my neighbourhood ($0.30 each!).

This dish takes time because after throwing the eggs in till they're cooked, I have to remove the shells and throw them back in again to absorb the flavours. That usually takes half a day.

Maybe I should make it and split it into several containers but with minimal meat. I still remember the last time I made it and the meat didn't taste very good after a week in the fridge. This time I should probably split the gravy and then cook one container of it with some meat for each meal.



























Nothing much to blog about these days. Been camping at my comp for the current Steam Summer Sale all day everyday. Not exactly everyday tbh but close enough.

Also been leaving 4-6 games open on my PC whenever I'm not actually playing to earn cards to sell. Made about US$6 so far and spent about $3 due to the slow speed of this revenue stream.

I'm selling all my cards except 1 of each game in case the prices rise back to normal levels in the future. Theoretically, there may be an extreme oversupply of cards atm due to everyone buying games on Steam and camping at their PCs like me. Since they're waiting, they may consider running those games while AFK since the computers will be left on anyway.

But it's just theory and I'm selling almost everything I have. It's a good time to not give a damn about cosmetic stuff right now.

Some games, though, are taking forever to give me new cards, like Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. I've left it on for 2 consecutive nights and all I've received is 2 cards while all other games of mine get me 3-4 by the second night.

Whatever. This is not an urgent issue anyway.






















Exercise. Decided against restarting the P90. Obviously I'm not fit enough to even try after all these weeks without any exercise at all.

Started with a little jogging, cycling and weights. Weights are hard again but this was expected.

Thought about brisk walking at the track nearby but felt like doing it in my underwear at home. Moreover it would look weird for a young man like me to exercise there at 10-11am on a weekday.



























Booked a trip to China. Almost forgot about this. In fact, I was a little late and the hotel I wanted was sold out for the month I wanted. Now it will be only a week after my trip to Korea.

Thought about Japan but decided against it. Too late, too expensive, too unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment