Monday 16 November 2009

Rant 463 / Leather Belt

If you're dirt poor and you know it clap your hands...












My neighbourhood has changed much since I arrived. I remember when I was young, bugs would swarm into our 22nd storey apartment whenever it rains, especially at night. Sometimes I wonder how these tiny bugs have the endurance to fly this far just for a light, but most of the times I would just be too busy throwing rolled-up newspapers at the big ones, which we believe to be ant drones.

Soon after we moved in we gained this habit of shutting all windows tightly whenever it even drizzles. Sure the ventilation would suck, but at the insect invasion would be minimal. We never believed in covering our windows with netting because Singapore is warm enough as it is without making our flat stuffy.

So whenever it rains, we would hear the pitter patter of a combination of raindrops and flying bugs that don't seem to understand that the glass is not a semi-permeable membrane. Well of course they don't; it would be quite scary if they even understand the concept of glass.

Often, some of them would find the tiny gaps built into the metal frames of our sliding window panes which were originally designed for ventilation purposes but now converted to insect doors. These smarter insects would meet our newspapers. Not that they would appreciate the latest victory in the S League, but still I thought it would teach them a lesson for entering my territory.

I was a sissy back then, scared of big flying bugs with abdomens the size of the top section of my thumb, so I threw newspaper rolls at them instead of swatting. My dad would swat, but he wasn't always there. Insecticide spray was out of the question because of the poor ventilation.

At times the bugs wouldn't die, being too tough to be squashed by a mere paper projectile. That gave us something more to do, more target practice. Eventually if it didn't die it would be too weak to struggle. Such specimens are gently scooped up in newspapers to be disposed of in the rubbish chute.

But all these gradually stopped. Fewer bugs entered our homes as my neighbourhood was being developed. More concrete jungle, less natural jungle. Semi-detached houses and carparks, among others, replaced the final bits of natural landscapes here. Where there was all trees, now there is concrete.

Now it is entirely safe to leave the windows open during the rain, as long as the wind isn't blowing into our home. I haven't even seen an ant drone in years.













Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
is in development. About time.















Adobe Photoshop is why the Internet is your number one source of misinformation.

I'm very sure the first pic is a shoop. It took me some time and a lot of staring to identify the one thing that linked the two photos. Notice her left eye, the one half-covered by her hair? If not for that I'd not have believed it was the same person. The one in the un-Photoshopped version looked more like a guy with boobs!

















The second song isn't really good. Just like the chorus.



Most of the Retarded Adventure is just random nonsense. Only LEATHER BELT was funny, very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment