Tuesday 6 May 2008

Rant 132 / It's Another Gaming Marathon Every Day!

Right now I'm blogging out of boredom. Downloading a 161MB Windows update and together with my utorrent running, I can't do shit online.

At first, I thought I had wasted about 20 bucks on my copy of Half Life 2. It costs 40 bucks at Sim Lim Square, but can be bought on STEAM for 15USD. Worse, I was unable to install it from the DVD. It kept giving me that bullshit error that I don't have enough memory to run STEAM. Unable to find an answer after a quick search on Google, I decided to activate the damned thing on STEAM and see if I could download it.

Bingo. But it took half the day to download the whole HL2. In the end, I spent 40 bucks on the fucking CD Key alone. From now on, I swear, I will buy games online whenever it can be downloaded right from the website. Fucking discs. I knew I shouldn't have trusted them. All they do is be water-proof and occupy space. Useless scum.

But it wasn't a waste at all. Despite the fact that I think HL2 sucks, I wasn't considering playing it when I bought it. What I wanted was its mods. By buying this game, I was really paying for all the games that are created from it, like Empires, Zombie Master and Zombie Panic. In fact, that 40 bucks gave me more 4 games.

Right now, the HL2 mods I have in my comp are Empires, Zombie Master, Zombie Panic and Pirates, Vikings and Knights. Empires is, by far, the best game in the list.

It is similar to Natural Selection in that both sides have a Commander who plays the game like a Real-Time Strategy game like C&C while the rest play as soldiers in the field. Most maps also involve the acquiring of resource nodes to get resources (ingame money) which can be used for research by the commander and etc.

However, in this mod, players get to choose their classes, namely Scout, Soldier, Engineer and Grenadier. Different classes have different sets of weapons and abilities. Also, players get to level up after receiving enough experience points. Leveling up allows them to choose additional abilities, both passive and active.

The best feature in this game is not those listed above, but the fact that the players can buy tanks with the team's money after the commander builds the Vehicle Factory. Right now, there are several tanks which can be bought and customized by the players and they fall under the category of Light Tanks and Heavy Tanks.

In the future, additional features will include aircrafts for the players.


The second best mod is Zombie Master. In this mod, one player gets to be the Zombie Master in each map. He will summon various types of monstrous zombies to kill all other players (Survivors) while everyone else tries to do what their names say - survive.

Basically, every map have many objectives which survivors have to complete to win the game. These may be simple-sounding things like finding fuel cans to power the generator so that the doors can open, or hold the area for 2 mins while the lift motor warms up. Some maps are simpler though, requiring the survivors to stay alive for 6-7 mins to win.

Meanwhile, the Zombie Master is able to travel through the whole map like a god and gets to use the Orbs that only he can see. These orbs can either be used for booby traps or for summons. Both require credits which are given to the ZM every few seconds.

Survivors get to use guns that can be found at certain locations throughout the maps. However, ammo is limited and healing items are extremely rare. Most of the time, survivors only have the 100hp that they begin with to last the whole game.

The ZM is able to summon zombies like Shamblers, which are the stereotypical zombies that we see in all zombie flicks. Other zombies include Hulks, which are huge things that are tough and do 50hp per hit. Yes that's half a survivor's hp.



Zombie Panic, the main reason for buying HL2, turned out to be less fun than ZM. Most players play as Survivors, while at least 3 players start out as zombies. Survivors in both games are similar, but in ZP, there is only 1 type of zombie- the Zombie!!!! LOL! In most maps, the survivors just need to keep themselves alive for a certain amount of time and in some maps, zombies have limited numbers of revives. Dead survivors become zombies, while dead survivors in ZM become Spectators of the game.

Zombies are boring in this game. It is exactly the same as playing Hide and Seek, except one side has guns with extremely limited ammo while the other have only claws.

No comments:

Post a Comment