Wednesday 9 January 2008

Rant 087 / How Does A Person Bleed For Days And Not Die? Be A Woman.

I just found this blood donation flyer at my door. "You can save life! C'mmon"(typos are from the flyer itself). Why can't we let the ladies handle this particular facet of our lives? I mean, they bleed almost every month of their bloody lives and where does all the rich, fresh blood go? Down the hole, where else?

What is the logic in this? Everyday, there are people dying because the blood or blood product that they desperately need is not available in the blood bank, yet every day we throw away good, wholesome, nutritious blood down the drains! Instead of sanitary bins, some bored smartass in the US should invent a sort of freezer that's cheap enough to be placed in every cubicle, and able store blood for some time.

The fact is, humans are born hypocrites. As babies, we are said to cry for milk all the time, yet everyone knows babies want tits, not milk. Around the globe, we beg for donations for the poor, yet everyday we dump millions of tons of food into the trash bins. There is no logic in this; we just are.

Well, actually the baby part has no link, but it just seems nice to type out.







Alright, enough bull. If you had read the entire part above, you may be confused whether they are all truth or trash. It's both.









I still can't muster the guts to sign up for a speaker slot at other Toastmasters Clubs. Gah! Even the thought of it is scary. It is hard enough to speak a 5-min speech in front of the NTU TMC, but to speak at another TMC doesn't cost points! FREE! I have to earn points by performing roles during our fortnightly meetings, and even though they're easy, its not a fast process unless I pick a tough job. So far I've been choosing easy tasks like the Sergeant-At-Arms aka sai kang warrior and the Table Topics Master, who organizes and presents the Table Topics sessions.

Harder jobs that earn more points include:

-Language Evaluator, who notes down every single grammatical, pronunciation and any types of mistakes made by everyone throughout the meeting,
-Project Evaluator, who judges and comments on one of the Prepared Speakers using a 2-3min speech, and
-Ah-Counter, who notes down every "ah", "er","hmm", non-linking sentences, non-linking words and just about any mistake a speaker shouldn't make, throughout the meeting.

Now it should be apparent why I'm not picking these roles yet.








I don't pretend to understand how most people think. Yesterday I found out a male friend of mine has a blog, and it is linked to the blog of a primary school friend of mine, a girl. The one thing that has me confused is that he stated in his blog that he loves her, yet is unable to tell her in person.

The confusion begins here: as I scanned the comments on his blog, I see all evidence of her being a regular reader of his blog. What was the point of typing out that he is unable to tell her in the face and keeping it at that? Why couldn't he go on and type more?

But he has stated in a later update that he has told her through the phone, something I rarely touch.

I don't know either of them well enough to judge who got the better side of the deal. I can say I knew her, not know. I can say I know part of him, the desperate student in him. I don't know her because she has to change in the last 10 years that I didn't see her for. I don't know the part of him who is reading manga, playing basketball and fooling around in life.

I'm ignorant of a great many things, yet what is the point of knowing so much?






Donating blood takes so much time. Why can't they stick the tube straight into the right atrium and suck it all out? The guy would probably faint for a bit, but who cares? The patient is dying! Which has a greater priority - a donator who passed out or your dad who's about to die of excessive blood loss?






Who really cares whether there is logic in the Internet? I know my blog is full of upside-down bull. Life is full of worse. If Bush can be elected President twice, how logical can life get?






Woohoo! Another overnight LAN party incoming! This time it's 7 of us, not 5. So we will only need 1 more guy from outside to make it 4v4 DoTA. Overnight. I like playing team games as long as the team doesn't whine about my noobness in games that I'm noob in. Like in Natural Selection, I prefer to play on the more pro US servers to the noob China servers. The Korean servers are fine but empty most of the time. I like big and pro servers. But in the US server I play in, my ping is always around 250 compared to the other guys with 10-100 ping. Even if I'm pro, and I'm only an average player, I cannot shoot well there.

Therefore I'm usually noob in that server, but no one complains because I try not to get in their way. I figure ways to help the team without shooting, like being the team gorge(builder class), or if someone else has taken the position, I try to other less direct strategies.

Teamwork is always enjoyable. In games this is especially easy to achieve. In MMORPGs, this is essential to have fun at higher levels. In a FPS/RTS game like Natural Selection, everything is about teamwork. Pwnage aim helps, but if that is lacking, a team that works together can more than offset the lack of one godly shooter.

The satisfaction of teamwork is what drives me to play online games. Back in WoW, that was what kept pulling back until I feared I would never be able to get out. Now it's Natural Selection, as it has always been for 4 years. Or is it 5 now? All I know is that I started at v1.04, when games lasted for hours and I can quit halfway through for a meal, then come back for the same round.

NS is different from the other more famous Half-Life mods in that the teamwork is more organized in public servers. In Team Fortress, it is also about teamwork but no one is needed to organize the teams' efforts. In CS, teamwork is usually found in servers with extra mods, or in competitive play.







Now I'm back to Heroes of Might and Magic V. At the moment I'm still at the last round of the Fortress Campaign. Even though I don't have the save files from my previous try, cheat codes are easy to find. I just kept using @Win() until I reach the round I don't remember playing, then I gave my Wulfstan 30,000 exp and went on with the game.

The Fortress race seems so strong, so solid, yet in actual place the units seem so weak. Somehow the formidable-looking bear riders die like flies every time they get hit. And the Spearwielder does practically negligible damage. The only good it does is the crippling wound it occasionally does. At least the salamander is strong. In fact, it's stronger than it looks. Hell, even the Thane looks stronger than it, but the Thane has crap for HP.

I'm starting to use the Berserker's special ability less often. It is always so tempting to use it every turn. You know, it's like letting loose a mad dog into a human crowd. Feels fantastic, but after its turn, it'd be the enemies' turn to feel fantastic. But still, it's so weak! All the HP/Defense of all the Fortress units seem so low, other than the Magma Lizard or whatever it's called. Sometimes it's very frustrating to see my beloved bear riders reduced drastically in numbers with every blow it gets, which it gets a lot because I always push it ahead of my other units.

But if I don't make full use of it's mobile range, I'd have to depend on my range units to take care of the enemy range units. And this is bullshit because only the Runic Priests do decent damage. The Spearwielder is for slowing down melee units, not for damaging them. Or I can send in the Thane, but the results would be the same, just more expensive for me.

At least the Runes are useful, especially the Rune that doubles the unit's mobile range. Totally rocks in all those situations where your unit can almost reach the ranged unit but just can't get there in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment