Saturday 11 August 2007

Rant 71 / Everyone Else Is Generally Regarded As The Largest And Most Diverse Ethnic Group In The World

And thus my long term cool turkey treatment begins.

The latency in my room, like any other rooms in the hostels there, is like shit. I have tried 5-7 times over a period of 4 days, playing Natural Selection, which also allows me to see my ping in real time.

The problem is not the overall speed, but the consistency. Downloading, thus, is completely fine. When my ping can jump from 200+ to 600+ to 900+ to 2000+ in 5seconds all the time, there aren't many online games for me to choose from anymore.

It is said that within the campus the whole network uses optical fibres, making the latency between computers in the campus negligible. It doesn't make any difference for me though, since I do not play DoTA, which is the game that everyone in Singapore plays when it comes to LAN gaming.

This simply makes my quitting games an easier task. Easier, but not easy. Even though I cannot play online games, I can still play single-player games like Civilization IV, Elder Scrolls IV and Chrono Cross. Now this may sound like there's no difference, but I can safely say the levels of boredom between multi-player gaming and going solo have an immense difference. Unless it's PS2 games.





After today's experience, I find incredible what XL can laugh at. My comments, which are rarely laughed at by the rest of the gang, seem to be so humorous to her. I find that I no longer understand females anymore. Her constant laughter was such a revelation to me.

At first, I was thinking what you're probably thinking right now, that she was only being polite. Now, it cannot be false, polite laughter if you have to wipe your eyes while laughing, can it?

So, the problem here is, how far can I go? I simply don't know. When I talk to guys, I know the different limits of the different types of guys. I know the different levels of vocabulary between the many types of guys, and this helps to limit my words to those that they can understand.

After all, if you have to explain a joke, it loses its flavour right away.

For certain groups of guys, there is no limit. Anything is fine, and nothing is offensive. For the more studious types, joking about anything that have sexual connotations will only leave them confused.

But this is wrong. The fact that she laughs that hard makes me believe that she doesn't have much contact with my brand of "only occasionally funny" humour. This implies that she doesn't have much contact with many guys ( may not be true to your standards though), and it may be that she was desperate for love, and he was the first to ask her out.

I do all I can do prevent that from happening to myself, but it's easier said than done.

Every man has a different standard, and no one can truly say another's is inferior to his.





I am totally horrified that Sgt Bala (a nickname of a player in Natural Selection) is now in charge of training the Singapore NS players. For goodness' sake, all he can really do well is shoot! So far the strategies he has spoken of, and those he has used are so basic! The local players should really spend some time playing with bad pings over at the US servers! Those guys are pro compared to them, and the US players aren't even competitive.

But then, with the sort of players we have here, any strategy we use will encounter severe limitations.

I guess Sgt Bala is the best we can come up with, but I hope someday they will learn to stop ramboing and ninja something. The Jer's Public Server is pretty bad too. Twice I built a ninja phase gate next to a hive without getting killed, only to find that the comm wasn't looking at us.

It was until I typed "PHASE!" into team chat that he finally beaconed everyone back to base and made everyone phase in. But it was already too late and the aliens were already there waiting for us.

Dreadful.

The aliens in Jer's are completely shit. Whenever I play as an alien, I MUST secure a hive or else no one will, and after 5 mins, they will start saying "gg" because we have no 2nd hive. Basically, even if I do that, the aliens there never win, unless some of those better HK players are in the team.

Wherever did the good HK players go?

The amazing thing is, even though the US public servers are so pro compared to the local NS scene, the competitive players are godlike compared to them.

Competitive NS is a whole new world compared to public games. Marines trying to block escaping fades is the norm. Hiving in 4 mins is the norm. Cooperating skulks is the norm.

In public servers, marines running from fades is the norm. Hiving in 5mins is the norm. Solo skulk feeders is the norm.

I'll never touch competitive NS.








Talking is hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment