Wednesday 22 August 2007

Rant 073 / Many Topics. One Rant.

It is very obvious how immature I am. In everything I say, I display a blatant lack of depth. It is amazing how anyone would read my rants and think I'm talking sense. I have no sense.

I am not a very logical person. I do things for no reasons. I say things without enough justifications. I elaborate on matters without adequate research. That's me.

Why do I do all these foolish things?

Why do I persist?

What is the meaning of this?

Why am I asking you this?

Am I asking myself all these questions?

Why do I ask myself at all?

Why me?



Did you feel annoyed at all those questions above?




The thing is, who cares? I can say anything and nothing, and no one really gives a damn.

Yes, this is the world. Its motto is "No one cares".

Not true?

The world is not what you think it is, but what you will it to be.

It bends. That is a very convenient trait of reality. It bends.

It bends to your will. What is real, can be made unreal. What is unreal, can be made real.






Notice the abrupt changes in topics so as to avoid the gritty details that, in normal circumstances, will make you fall asleep faster than your grandfather at 9pm?


I am simply not a great talker. I make a poor conversationalist. My roommate is almost a stranger to me, even though he did cuddle with his girlfriend last night right behind me.

How can he do that when we hardly know each other?!

I wish I can tell him to get a room, but I cannot risk doing anything that will hurt our relationship. We're going to live in the same room for a year after all.

Well, I hope I'm right to use the word "cuddle" because I don't know what it means exactly. Does sitting on the same chair in front of the com and talking softly to each other count??

You must be curious about what I did.

Simple. I had downloaded the video of the recent friendly Natural Selection matches between Europe and the U.S., so I put on my earphones and studied proper Fade handling techniques from the vids.

An educational night. I'm talking about the NS videos. As for them, I have no idea what they really did other than sit together and mumbling to themselves.

But then, after this incident, I realized that I will now have to learn to knock if I ever go back to my room late... :D

No, I didn't see them do anything improper unless they were doing it with their clothes on. I don't wear my glasses most of the time, so I cannot be sure of anything. But she was definitely embarrassed when I asked him right away if she was his girlfriend.

I think he grunted in reply. Meanwhile his girlfriend was laughing with her hand covering her mouth. How polite. Or was it there to wipe something off? Oh I'm so sorry if I'm giving you the wrong ideas.

He did call me, but my phone was switched to silent mode, as usual, and I was walking so fast that I didn't feel its vibrations. I blame the looseness of my pants.

Need to learn to knock. Before entering MY room. What the heck...



It was quite interesting to see what the NTU Toastmasters was all about. Apparently, toastmasters are not just what is defined at dictionary.com

toast·mas·ter [tohst-mas-ter, -mah-ster]
–noun
1.a person who presides at a dinner and introduces the after-dinner speakers.
2.a person who proposes or announces toasts.

In addition to all these, a toastmaster is also a trained speaker, able to talk smoothly to a large audience. By attending the Welcome Tea last night, I learnt that it is about talking to audiences without fear or hesitation.

The best part of the whole program I attended was the table topics session. It was a 30-minute segment where members of the audience were invited to speak on randomly chosen topics for 2 minutes. I didn't go, gutless as I am. But I thought it'd be useful if I learnt to talk like the President of the NTU Toastmasters.

If you think you can talk well to an audience, you are likely to be wrong. Imagine, or try to remember the last time you talked to an audience. Maybe it was a short presentation, or a sketch. Think about how you talk in such a situation. Then watch how Lee Hsien Loong gave the National Day Rally Speech.

Big diff. Really big.

No comments:

Post a Comment