Friday 4 May 2007

Rant 055 / Effective Absurd Metaphors

Being rational is not something everyone is capable of. Emotions become a burden because they listen to their hearts too much. Hearts are not always working together with the mind, therefore emotions can often be in conflict with logic.

But being logical all the time makes the world boring. No one likes a straight line. And being logical makes you predictable, which is taboo for me. In fact, it is antithetical to some of my personal principles in life.

In life, lies are often necessary. Most are small lies, lies so seemingly harmless that no one notices the weight that accumulates as the years go by. Therefore, if I become predictable, the lies I tell will become less effective, forcing me to tell more lies than is necessary for me now.

But lies are all the same - as long as they are not broken, as long as the truth they cover is not revealed to anyone else, they add weight to the accumulating burden of the mind.

Keep lies simple. This reduces the weight that each lie has.

Keep lies to the minimum. This reduces the number of lies I accumulate as I go on.

Tell the truth. This is the best option, and is widely practiced by leaders worldwide. My favourite option, since it keeps life from getting complicated.

But do not mistake the practice of "telling the truth" from what you usually see it as. The whole truth is always the simplest, but half-truths are more effective.

Even better is twisting the truth with lies, which can be presented as a lie, a truth, a lie that seems obviously to be the truth, and a truth that seems obviously to be a lie.

For example, when some guy tells you he masturbates everyday with a hole he drilled into a wall in his bedroom, would you believe it?

What if it is partly true, that he masturbates everyday, just not with the hole?

Or that he doesn't do it daily, but when he does...?

The perfect lie is the truth, because the best lies become the truth. And when you keep the lie intact forever, it turns into the truth. Which basically makes you an honest person.

Honesty is the best way to keep life easy. And if you lie like there's no tomorrow, and none of the truth you cover is revealed even after you're dead and buried, then you have always been telling the truth.

But this is not the only reason that motivates me to stay unpredictable. The fact is that seeing a person's face filled with confusion, surprise or shock is absolutely enjoyable. Maybe I should learn some magic tricks...

I already know some magic. Life is magic. So much of life's basic mechanics are so hard to comprehend, and/or causes such great emotions that to us, they're magic. Like how our brains work. Like how a baby is created. Like how the body creates so much strange chemicals from that chicken you ate this afternoon.

Magic.

Magic tricks are simply actions are not what they appear to be, designed to please the viewer. Whenever you do something that is not what it appears to be, it is a trick. If it produces a positive effect, it is a magic trick.

If a guy gets a girlfriend who is really a guy, it is a trick. If the parents are happy because they are ignorant of that fact, it is a magic trick. See?

Going back to lies, I always preferred to keep lies to the bare minimum, and tell half-truths when needed. When it is possible, I reveal the truth so that there are few lies in my life.

I don't lie often. In fact, I despise liars who lie out of whim. Lies break trusts, and trust is the cement of civilization. People form the breaks, and by sticking together with trust, they form societies.

Lying out of necessity to make life temporarily easier is understandable. Sometimes, there are situations when a person cannot handle the actual conditions he has received and desires to change them to a more acceptable level.

But maintaining a lie requires more lies and/or half-truths. The more complex the lie, the more supporting lies it require. Makes it look like a drug, because when a person tells enough lies, lying all the time will become the only way to maintain a "normal" life. And sooner or later, someone will manage to dig up the truth when the rate of increase of the necessary lies exceeds what one can handle.

Lying is not only something a person does to another. It can also be something a person does to oneself. In fact, I believe some people try to lie to themselves more than they try to lie to others.

There will be those who find this ridiculous, but honestly, how often do people reflect on the little things they do? How often do they think about what they have done, and figure out whether they were really lying to themselves about their motives behind their actions?

Are all philanthropists really doing what they do to help others? Or are they trying to improve their image, for one reason or another?

Think about it. Personally, that'd be one of my favoured options when I want to appear nicer than the logical eugenicist in me.

Motives. That is what most lies cover. That is the reason why most lies exist. To cover the actual motive behind actions.

There are more lies out there than most would believe exist. Everyone is really filled with lies, small lies like "I'm not balding", "that baby is mine", "I love you" and etc...

The number of lies, in truth, easily overwhelms the number of truths out there. We are all living lies, but we lie to ourselves that we are not. You are balding, that baby isn't yours and you don't love her- you just love her vagina.

You don't love your President, you go to church not because you love God, you greet your neighbours not because you like them, you work not because you need the money.

Think of why you're believing all that, and look beneath the surface. See the currents that flow beneath the waves, and you will find a whole new world appearing before you.

It may be too harsh for many, but as you become more honest with yourself, life seems clearer.



I don't believe I will go for any karaoke outing with most people.

First of all, I don't sing. I make noise.

Second, I don't usually listen to music I am able sing.

Third, I am gradually becoming antisocial again, making me desire less for social gatherings with people I do not know well. Which needs a solution that I hope to find when school starts.

Fourth, there is no fourth.

I don't feel like going, though I think I should. I don't like the deafening chinese music in there, and I don't think there is anything for me to do there but yawn.

3 : 1, Not Going wins the round.

There, I'm not going. And that's the honest explanation.

But since none of them reads this, I will need to lie again. :(

Perhaps I will tell them I'm allergic to my own singing, and that it causes strong responses in my central nervous system, often causing temporary shutdowns lasting up to an hour. So I don't sing at all. So there's not really any good reason for me to go.

A lie, fresh from the oven, served with a sprinkle of truth on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment