Sunday 24 June 2012

Rant 1014 / Flashmobs And Flashbangs

Finally figured out how to deep fry food. I guess that also tells you something about the homecooked portion of my diet.

I stopped after trying once a long time ago because I put the food in before it was hot. It was supposed to prevent hot oil from scalding myself but it turned out to be the wrong way to deep fry anything.

I think my mum mentioned it once but I was too inexperienced back then for it to make any sense.

Now after having this notion reinforced the other day when one of my employees suggested it after hearing that I get things stuck to the pan when I lightly fry food on it, plus my current experience in the kitchen, I saw how it works.

The hot oil solidifies the surface of the food before it reaches the bottom, whereas in my first attempt, the surface solidified only after it was in contact with the pot.

Today, I tested it on some baby squids I had intended to use as terrapin feed. It's spent half a week in the freezer and another half in the middle compartment of the fridge, so it's not fresh but still edible.

And some fishballs, just for the heck of it.

Covered them in flour and put them in hot oil that made my chopsticks fizzle.

Deep frying is so easy. Too bad I don't have a good ventilator in my kitchen so just this one attempt was enough to make the entire kitchen floor feel oily.

In other words, I can only do it once a week, preferably within the 24 hours before the housekeeper comes over.

























Augmented reality is the next big thing. I'm very sure of it.

Other than the cabs I mentioned some time back, imagine AR with motion sensors. It seriously cannot be a difficult task to combine the both of them once AR is mastered.

AR is going to be a technological revolution within the foreseeable future. Bet on it.




















Currently studying yarns because this manufacturer I'm interested in is asking me for all sorts of information and I'm not sure if I can afford to appear noobish in this situation. Moreover with the minimum order limit he stated and his English proficiency, his company doesn't seem to be a small one.

In short, he sounds like a pro, or at least infinitely more pro than I am.
 
But now I know more than I did a couple hours ago. Finally realized that a few of the terms he used were taught to me by very different names when I found out their meanings.

It's just inconvenient sometimes when the bits of knowledge my mother passed to me were all taught in verbal Cantonese (I can't write most Cantonese-specific words), and the Internet I know is in English. Worst of all, I have yet to find an online English-Chinese translator or dictionary for fashion industry jargons. At least I could make educated guesses if there were English-Mandarin ones.

The strange thing is that I feel that this is how learning should be - you get a problem, a few hints or keywords, and a textbook filled with everything you need and more, then you figure the rest out yourself.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've never got how the audial part of the lessons in school was supposed to help me, like when the teacher reads stuff aloud from the books or projection slides. The only things attending classes did for me was set a pace and regularly remind myself that I have to study.

And sweater sizes. I used to think there was some kind of standard for this. I mean, that's how my world used to work, y'know, because the whole education system is founded on standardised... everything.

But the truth is, as far as I can tell, there is not even a permanent regional standard for Southeast Asia.

Everything depends.

And now I'm supposed to find out what measurements I should specify to the manufacturer just like this.

This is how learning should be.



















Decided on Citibank, just because my bro has an account there and there are referral rewards. A lot of banks already offer free chequebooks for current accounts which is my only condition, so the referral thing broke the tie.

Now I just need to see if it can get me the chequebook within the week or I'll have to find another way to pay my staff.



















Bought Deus Ex: Human Revolution on Steam at 75% off, so it was about US$11.50 total for the game and its expansion, The Missing Link.

As awesome as the deal sounds, it made me realize one awful fact about my recent purchases: I'm spending more money on indie games even before they're made, like US$15 on Dead State, than on these games made by more established studios.

What does it say about me?

No comments:

Post a Comment