Sunday 23 August 2009

Rant 407 / Pure Pwnage - It Will Pwn You In The Face

I pity Switzerland. Now that their vaunted reputation for absolute bank secrecy is completely destroyed, all they have to sell their financial services is stability. Gone are the days when you can rest assured no one knows about the money you have in a trustworthy Swiss bank. Nope, now Swiss banks are just like any other banks.

This really demonstrates the power of the States even in a economic recession. This time it's not just a little website hell-bent on spreading piracy. No, they've bent to their will the entire financial sector of Switzerland.

Low-profile versions of Swiss banks will prosper since all those clients who needed the privacy would have no reason to stash their fortunes in Switzerland. Singapore banks are going to get more rich clients now.










It's going to be a real TV show in Canada, which means someone is going to rip the series for the rest of us non-Canadians. Beginning in 2010, "the only show on TV that doesn't lick my balls" indeed.








Homework. I've always preferred to do my homework at night, but I have to wake up early in the day for class. Sleeping less is not an option because of my fragile body clock. I'm currently keeping my sleeping time before 12am and I'd like to keep it that way. If I sleep late too often (I don't know, maybe 2 nights in a row?), I'll probably fall into my previous routine of sleeping later and later till I start to feel drowsy only at 7am, just like so many times in the last few years.

Sleeping too little would render attending the morning lectures pointless. Hence, I'm trying to sleep at 10am these days.

My preferred work time, therefore, cannot be. If I do my homework at night, it'd be more efficient but would also screw my life. So now I'm resorting to doing my work in the day during the rather large gaps between classes in the afternoons. Seriously, I have at least 2 hours of rest time every afternoon, which I'm using to both complete tutorials, browse the RoM forums and sleep.

Yes, sleep, especially on those days with 5-hour breaks. Usually I'd find a PC in the library and camp there for the entire break, unless my stomach growls too loudly, which forces me to take my lunch. So far I've manage to push this off till around 4.30pm by getting a bottle of soft drink to sip on before entering the library.

Maybe I should bring some biscuits or something.

And I still have much difficulty making myself complete my tutorials during the weekend. This problem is a tough one; I cannot come up with any solution. This, in fact, may be unsolvable which leaves me no choice but to finish everything in school.









My mum seems to be very excited about my bro's new relationship. For the most part she seems quite happy and curious about what they're doing. After all, she really doesn't hear about this sort of thing other than from one of her employee who has a daughter several years older than me.

What she tells me about her is that her boyfriend basically lives on her parents' income. He lives at her place, both of them don't work (he's studying in an unknown university and she's unemployed after graduating from an unknown polytechnic) and her parents pay for his studies.

And everyone is pretty sure they don't just talk when they're alone in their rooms, especially when they've been living together in that room for years. In short, they're married in all but name.

Thus my mum expects this to happen to my bro, except for the "them paying for his studies" part. She even asked me if she should move her bed to another room in case his girlfriend moves over instead.

I really didn't (and still don't) have a good reply to that.

You'd have to know my bro to understand - he's too shy for that. In fact the relationship was started by the girl, not him. Even now she's the boss, not him. Maybe he'd change someday, but right now I don't think he has the guts to make his sexual relationship (if at all) official.

One thing that does bug my mum and I is that rate at which he is spending money. As I have discussed in the past, we do not have a fixed allowance. We just take our money from a top secret safe that my mum uses to store our projected budget for the near future. Apparently he has burnt around S$200 in less than two weeks and it isn't even Qing Ming yet!

Twice she had to remind him that we aren't rich, but love drives people crazy. The serotonin level in the brain changes and causes OCD-like symptoms in people who are in love. I guess my bro just can't stop spending money now.

Hopefully he'll wake up soon before he bankrupts my mum, but studies have shown that such effects usually last from 18 months to 3 years. I think I should keep my wallet in a safe place now. =(

Just kidding. This will end the day I find that safe empty, since I only open it when my wallet is empty. When both are empty, I get pissed. When I get pissed things happen, some of them good.

No comments:

Post a Comment