Tuesday 4 August 2009

Rant 399 / Burping Is Rude

I was lucky. I almost accidentally injured myself by holding a mug of superheated water with my bare hand.

I've been drinking tea every morning for a few weeks now, and I have always used hot water to brew my tea. This morning I woke up late, so the water in the kettle had cooled down (my mum boils water in the kettle every morning for her tea).

The water was only a little warm, so I thought I could microwave it for 2mins. Usually I microwave tap water for 2min 20s, so this didn't seem like too long. But it was.

First clue I had was observed when I slowly brought it out of the oven. A few bubbles emerged, which I thought may (not totally sure) have been due to the water being superheated and got in contact with dry surface above the water level when it was moved.

So I decided to confirm my theory... by pouring the packet of sugar in. I know there was the chance that this mug of water might explode in a burst of steam, but the probability was low. I was certain it didn't have much time to superheat for long. I did it with a little caution though, by holding the packet at the furthest end and poured the sugar in slowly.

The entire surface bubbled a little violently at the first contact. It didn't exactly explode, but it reached high enough to overflow a little, nothing 2 sheets from the toilet roll couldn't handle.

Exciting! But not something I'd like to try again.

What I've learnt is that I'm going to add something to the water before I boil it in the microwave from now on. The container doesn't need to be extremely clean to create superheated water.

Superheated water! I've made some! Woohoo!

Honestly, superheated water is what I've always watched out for when I boil water in the microwave. It's a scary thing especially after watching the huge explosion on TV when some guy demonstrated this with a beaker of water and 8 mins of microwave. Everytime I boil water this way, I poke the mug a bit to see if it bubbles before holding the ear and taking it out slowly. I guess the slow movement really paid off today. I'd be fucking screwed if the water touched me before I let it boil.

Do not try to re-enact this; it would be insane. But if you're mad enough, I did it with a mug of lukewarm water and exactly 2mins of microwave in a 900W oven. Do your own math.












ROFLMAO! A woman in NY City is suing her university because she couldn't find a job after 3 months after graduation. She is suing on the grounds that her alma mater didn't give her sufficient help in her job hunt and is trying to get a full refund of her $70k tuition fees.

Monroe College is a private college for business-related courses.

Good try. That's a very humourous idea.









WHAT? FFXIV WILL NOT HAVE THE LEVELING SYSTEM ANYMORE! IT'S NO LONGER FINAL FANTASY!!!








The Terminators was bad. Not the badass sort of bad, but the opposite of good. The director was atrocious, the script was crap and much of the violence was totally unrelated and pointless.

In some parts, it was even funny. In the scene where they fought at the back of the truck and the girl pulled the TR4 off the vehicle, there was that squishy sound of something being squashed, which shouldn't be because they merely fell off the back of truck! And amazingly they weren't hurt and in the next moment, instead of watching them climb up and recover/die, we are shown the TR4 ripping her entrails out.

Maybe it would have been a good movie 30, 40 years back when special effects mainly consist of hand-drawn stuff, but today I wouldn't even watch it if it were on TV.

It seems this is one of the mockbusters produced by a film studio known to produce crap imitations of blockbuster movies. Their list of films shows how much balls they have. They don't even bother to hide their attempts at copying.








Ever wondered about the economy of Vatican City? What sort of industries do they dabble in?

Or do they just survive on donations?

They don't charge taxes, but they accept donations?

Actually that's not a joke. I was right when I first guessed that, though it was a pretty logical assumption.

I mean, how much would a nation of 900 people need anyway?

One custom, according to Wikipedia, is the Peter's Pence. It used to be different, but today it refers to donations from Roman Catholics that go directly to the Vatican's treasury and is only accepted around the world on the Sunday closest to the 29th of June. In 2007, it was estimated that they received over US$79m in this manner.

In short, the Vatican City survives on donations, museum entrance fees and etc. Hence calculating its GDP would be totally pointless. But here is a measure of their budget - in 2007 their total revenue amounted to US$372m and their expenditure was US$386m.

Best of all, it literally has 0 people in its labour force. Amazing, isn't it? That a nation can survive with nobody working and yet makes money. And you thought life in those oil-producing Arab countries would be great, right?

The truth is none of the lay workers are citizens and all 3000 of them live outside of the Vatican City. In fact, most of the people working for/with the Vatican don't live there and neither do they have Vatican citizenship. Only 558 Vatican citizens exist and many of them work abroad.

The even more interesting thing about this nation is its public transport. It is 1.05km long and 0.85km wide, so... need a cab? Actually it does have a single heliport and railway service. Wait, a TRAIN? So you board the train, and before it can barely hit 5km/h it starts to brake. And you have to alight because the service terminates at the second stop. Then when you turn around you can still see the first stop.

Actually the city is serviced by a single station, which is now used mainly to import goods. The track is only 300m long and half the station is a museum, so you can guess how heavy the traffic is.

Simply put, the feet is the main form of public transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment