Monday 14 July 2008

Rant 147 / There Is No Spoon? Fork This Cliche Quote!

Installed Disciples 2 Gold. Suddenly felt like playing it again. Culpa Innata required too much brainwork (or trials and error). Once again, I'm reminded how crappy the intro movies are. Basically just flash movies of artwork, with texts and voice sub. But still, it's a pretty nice game.

Played a bit of Mass Effect again, now on Hardcore. Quoting Tali," Now it gets fun!" Enemies just don't die till I spray lots of bullets at them. Unlike on Veteran diffculty, where enemies die on the first few shots of my Assault Rifles. According to the Mass Effect wiki, on the difficulty I'm on now, bosses have immunities. Haven't encountered one yet, but it sounds pretty challenging. Nevertheless, I always keep 2 spare upgrades of all types at the highest level. And spare armours that are high on Tech/Biotic defense.

In the last game, I kept getting a bug that causes my guns to stay overheated till I reload the game. It's gone now, but good thing I was careful not to overheat my Assault Rifle on the last boss. I had read on the forums, while finding out info on this bug, some guy who got the same bug and overheated his during the last fight and had to use his Sniper Rifle for most of the battle. Very difficult but possible. Curious as I am, I did try to enter the battle with a Sniper Rifle, not knowing what to expect. It turned out the last boss leapt around like a fucking tick. Not a good idea to snipe him.

Perhaps if I ever play a 3rd time to complete all the achievements, I'll increase the difficulty exponentially by using a new character on Insane. But I won't be able to get all achievements on the 3rd run because I was unable to get any of the Allies achievements on my first run. There are 6 of them and each run can only give you 2. Plus I'm a Soldier again on my 2nd run, which means I cannot get any of the Tech and Biotic Achievements.


Flagship Studios has confirmed that it is sacking all its employees!!!! Holy cow! This is the first time I've ever seen a company that produced a famous game die! No doubt the game, Hellgate: London, sucked, but still, with all the publicity it got, I thought it should have at least merged with another company or something. I mean, the concept was promising, the game had real potential, but the ingame plot and quests just sucked. The loot drops vary mainly in the numbers, like the percentage increase in damage and stuff. The types of abilities and benefits of the items are always the same though. That was the greatest reason that stopped me halfway through the game. It gets boring after a while.

But the company just closed down! If they had hired someone who could plan the levels better, the game might still have a chance! Like some of the ex-employess have said, they have the big dreamers, but not the people who could get things done. They knew what can be done to make the game a mega-hit, but I guess something must have stopped them.

I guess they wanted to be on par with Blizzard right from their first game, judging from the fact that the top guys had resigned from Blizzard years ago to found Flagship. What a waste! Plus the USD being in such a shitty state, it really sucks to be an ex-employee. At least some of the top brass forked out of their pockets some money to give the poor guys a month of salary.

Sad. They had worked so hard for so many years on Hellgate. Now, whoever owns the rights to the game will probably stop developing it. At least the Korean company got the right to Mythos, another game that was under development by Flagship. The trailers look great. Yet another game that has great potential. I just hope the Korean guys don't screw it up like Flagship did with Hellgate.

And the comments on this news vary greatly, from a lack of surprise to sadness. Kind of like this...

1 comment:

  1. It'll be interesting to see what the official word is from Flagship Studios, later this week, once they figure out what to say.

    http://www.flagshipped.com

    ReplyDelete