Wednesday 28 November 2018

Rant 1247 / That Makes Me An Art Collector Now

27 Nov 2018


I probably shouldn't call these posts "rants" anymore since I don't really do that since a long time ago, but once upon a time this was an apt description, and now it just doesn't seem right to change it.



















Got the basic theory evaluation done for my class 3 (manual car) license.

I begin with 2 classes of basic theory, followed by optional practice session for the test. With or without practice, I must pass the evaluation before I can apply for the actual basic theory test. Once I have that, I can apply to the Traffic Police for my Provisional Driving License which lets me drive with an L-plate.

At this point, two things happen simultaneously. First, I need to attend 2 final theory classes, followed by the optional practice and then evaluation and the final theory test. Second, there is the basic practical training aka Stage 1, followed by a session at the driving simulator, then the intermediate training aka Stage 2. Once that's done, there is the lesson on auto transmission (since my course is on manual) and one on risk forecast, and, of course, Stage 3 which is training at the circuit. Stage 4 aka defensive driving and Stage 5, the evaluation, brings the training to an end.

Once both the final theory and practical training are over, I can book a slot for the practical test with the Traffic Police and once I pass it, I get my driving license.





















Sometimes it feels I am too self-sufficient in this relationship. One of the things we both mentioned last night was that I never need her help for anything while she frequently needs mine because she is often too busy.

She's busy because she feels uncomfortable being not busy, and keeping herself busy can lead to an overloaded schedule at times since she's got no buffer time for anything unexpected. To compensate for needing my help regularly, she feels she should reciprocate when I need help, but I rarely need help in anything or even want anything, especially since I can afford more things than her and I have more time to look for deals.

Now that I think about it, my theory is that I do most things myself and don't like to be helped unless I cannot do it myself, eg when I had that 40-degree fever that came with dizziness and nausea, because part of my confidence lies in my ability to not have to rely on anyone in most situations in life, that when I fall, I can get myself up, and to do them myself all the time proves that this is still a valid statement.

This means she can't reciprocate and she can't help but need my help all the time for even the simplest things due to her schedule, and this makes her feel like a burden.

Yet I feel the real issue lies in her need to keep herself busy. We really need to get that resolved but I am out of ideas here.























It is becoming an addiction to organize and go for trips. Maybe not an addiction since I'm not lying about it, but I just keep feeling a strong urge to get out of the country all the time.

So now it's only been about a fortnight since I've returned and I'm already planning to treat my staff to a cruise. Initially, I seriously considered a HK-SG cruise on Royal Caribbean but despite it being one of the better cruise lines, apparently it's flooded by rather rude passengers from certain Asian countries who tend to ignore queues and hog tables even when they are asking passengers not to via speakers.

Funny thing is, Royal Caribbean also offers cruises from Sydney to South Pacific islands and back for lower prices, and even with the airfare of $600 per pax on BA, it is still cheaper to take a 7-night cruise on this route than the 7-night HK-SG route.

If I fork out about S$1500, which of course makes it more expensive than the HK-SG cruise, I can upgrade this to a 10-night one that goes to NZ and back instead of those islands that have nothing but gorgeous beaches. However, it will need an additional S$200 per pax to upgrade it to one that visits the famous Milford Sound.

If I pick the cheaper NZ option, it is on my second favourite ship among the 3 possible ones, the Radiance of the Seas, which is good for views since half the ship is covered in glass windows but is a little old and relatively lacking in entertainment.

The more expensive option gets me to nicer places but on my least favourite ship, the Ovation of the Seas which is larger, newer and has much more entertainment. Downside is that with its size comes a lot more passengers, and specific venues can get extremely crowded when interesting events are being held.

Honestly, I'd prefer to visit NZ on the cheaper option, but that's going to cost me an estimated S$4.5k if they're willing to share a 4-bed cabin (meaning two of them will most probably have to climb ladders to their bunk beds), or $5k if they aren't, inclusive of airfare and etc.

Another issue is that Van can't confirm whether she can go until much closer to the date because she will be transferred to another department some time before then, and it makes things difficult because there is no guarantee I can still get the cheapest rooms, or that they will still be as cheap as they are now, and flights will also have the same two problems.

There is also a possible issue that whoever they want to bring will also have difficulty committing to a trip in March.

Tough. I will have to keep in mind there is a huge probability that the budget will need to be expanded to maybe S$8k just for them. That won't leave much for myself if I'm only willing to spend S$10k on this, and a possible solution is to go for the one that visits the South Pacific islands.

























Finally hung up my first painting.










My home used to be full of my dad's paintings but only one still remains on our walls, so there are plenty of hooks. Unfortunately this is the only hook located on a wall that's still uncovered, so the lighting may not be ideal but at least I won't have to shift a lot of things around.


I like how they included the frame and shipping in the price, and that the frame suits the painting, but the frame doesn't suit my home. Too cheap to get it replaced so what the heck...
















28 Nov 2018




Anyway, as a newbie, I learnt a few things about buying fine art from a friend during the auction I bought this from, but to discuss them, let's start with how the process goes.

For the most part, it is like how it works on TV and in the movies, the auctioneer states a minimum price, goes on to that really cool auction chant that can be kind of therapeutic to listen to, and hopefully someone bids and another person competes with the first bidder.

On the cruise, nobody tried to outbid anyone; most paintings left without a single bid - real life art auctions are probably just this sad, or maybe it's just on cruises where 80% of the people are there just for the atmosphere, the free drinks and to see the pieces.

Or maybe they're really picky. Who knows?

During the course of the auction, there are breaks, and during the first one, we were given cards to be placed on the frames of paintings we were interested to see in the auction, which didn't guarantee anything but raised the probability of their appearances.

During the rest of the auction, the auctioneer's assistants may approach you regarding pieces you have placed a card on or expressed interest in in other ways, eg you asked them directly, and he/she will tell you that they can offer you a price significantly lower than the one they intend to use as the minimum bid price. It will still be placed on auction afterwards, but if no one bids at all, you can have it at that price.

Here's the part I needed a friend to tell me because I'm too "by-the-book" and they will never even hint that it is possible - you can haggle, because art is subjective.

First, you can ask for an even lower price. That's pretty much the basic definition of haggling in the first place.

Second, it is within their powers to include another piece (or more) for the same price. Of course, it would raise your chances of success if the second piece is of a lower value.

Third, free shipping is possible. Granted, it is also possible that they can't cover every local taxes and fees because it can't be calculated right off the bat unless everything is shipped in one package, but shipping itself can cost a lot especially if even a single one is framed. For us Singaporeans shipping a framed painting from the US, we're talking about hundreds of dollars here, USD!

So what I did was say yes to simply the price he offered for the framed painting. It seemed like fair deal tbh, but that's me as a virgin art collector talking.

Later when we went back to our seats in the auction, my friend was surprised when I told her that, and persuaded me to go back to the assistant and ask for free shipping for everything, since it's too late to discuss lower prices or more pieces. I went back saying I forgot about shipping, asked for it for free, and voila!

My friend, being more experienced, asked for a second piece and free shipping for the price they offered, right from the start.

What they actually did in the case of free shipping was that they calculated the shipping charges, then reduced the price of each piece to bring the sum of everything to the price we agreed upon, hence that's why I said the prices can be reduced. If they can do it for free shipping, they can reduce it even more than that.

I still had to pay GST because one package exceeded S$400 (they have split my four paintings into three packages).





















Surprisingly, I can still do 10 military pushups continuously. Must be because of all the luggage handling during the trip. Just restarted my P90X3 regime, it's day 4 and my legs are aching. But it's just my legs so I clearly haven't been pushing myself hard enough, so today after The Challenge, my arms are like jelly now.

No comments:

Post a Comment