Thursday 23 June 2016

Rant 1229 / Sense Is Unnecessary As Long As It Works For You.

09 June 2016



Yep. Somehow it struck a cord in me. I've always thought that this "follow your passion" thing is for the masses. It's like if you throw enough darts, some of it is bound to hit the bullseye. Same here. If everyone follows his or her passion, someone is bound to get successful. Just not everyone.

It's something leaders and role models should say to everyone under them, because ultimately, with a large group of people, this benefits them overall - you just need one superstar within your neighbourhood and everyone will get some of the pride.

But individually, it is kinda stupid when you realize what some people are probably dreaming of. I may be wrong here, but when I see what a lot of people spend their money on and their justifications for them, it just feels like there is little chance that they can be dreaming of any job that is either possible or within the reach of 99.99% of the human race.

Like people who seem to believe that being your own boss is the best thing in the world.

The fact is, whatever your job is, it is simply like modern medicine - there is no perfect cure to any problem. The painful reality is that every treatment that a doctor has in his arsenal merely exchanges your current set of problems with another, one that he feels you are better equipped to deal with.

So I agree with Mike's assessment - follow the money, bring your passion with you and perhaps, find some along the way. You can only really follow your passion if you can already support yourself. C'est la vie.
































14 June 2016

The moka pot is the best manual coffee-making tool I've ever owned! Being Singaporean, our local coffee aka kopi is served seriously overbrewed, so it's very thick and can be quite acidic.

And I'm used to that thickness that cannot be found previously except in the french press, which also makes it very acidic, not to mention the sieve part is kinda hard to clean thoroughly.

With the moka pot, it's different. The filter is easy to clean since it doesn't have any tiny gaps other than the holes, unlike the french press. Moreover, it makes the thickest coffee ever created in my kitchen!

The moka pot is actually considered by some as an espresso machine due to the thickness of the coffee it produces, but it's really just thick coffee. Real espresso is almost a syrup. Having stayed in Italy for 8 days, drinking 1-3 espressos every single day, I have the creds to back up my opinions on coffee LOL























Tried the SleepPro Anti-microbial version and it was so painful on the first night. Only tried it one night so far. It made my lower front teeth feel like they were getting pulled out all at one go (which technically they kinda were) and I could barely sleep that night until I spat it out sometime in the pre-dawn morning. My lower front teeth were sore for the rest of the day too.

All the reviews mentioned the ache and soreness but apparently it goes away after several nights of usage, so I may reuse it tonight.



























18 June 2016

Decided that to get used to the SleepPro, I'll need several days to get used to it due to its effect on my quality of sleep.

Not doing it for now.
























I was thinking about taking all my cash out and investing most of it in index funds. Apparently, these are the ones that actually make sense. Not just yet though, because as bad as the Singapore economy is right now, it can't be at the nadir yet.

























21 June 2016

I don't get why semi-automatic guns are allowed among civilians in some countries. They aren't needed for hunting and if one ever finds oneself in a situation that necessitates the use of semi-automatic rifles or shotguns, then one has to ask," What is the police doing?"

...

So they do need it for hunting, especially larger animals that may not get killed by the first round and may even attack the hunter after surviving it. It increases the chances of a quick death for these large animals and smaller ones like birds, therefore making it more humane.

This isn't about the act of hunting in the modern world, which is an entirely different story, but the use of firearms during the hunt.

























23 June 2016

After pushing myself a little during the last RT session, my body aches, especially my shoulder area from the "pushups" I made myself do. I added the quotation marks because they were not real pushups - the instructor advised those who couldn't do a proper pushup to just go all the way down before pushing ourselves up from the ground.

A proper pushup, to me, means I can hit the ground with my forehead just by tilting my head forward a little. I can't do that anymore, so I just slammed into the ground and pushed myself up. He noticed it though, and told me even if I was doing that sort of pushup, I had to put in a little strength when going down, ie go down slowly.

That was way harder.

But the overall effect is that I can handle life with less sleep, ie this morning I got up at my girlfriend's first alarm (she has three in the morning) when we usually got up at the second. This is what I used to do back when I was losing weight.

This means my momentum is back!



:D

RT may be one of the better things that gets forced onto Singaporean men.























So after the last few days of using the moka pot, it became clear that the guidelines I've learnt online weren't enough.

Using the moka pot is an art, I feel. There's a standard amount of water and beans you can use, but the fineness of the grind is up to you. Sure, there's a range of values for this factor, but the specific number you want to use really depends on your personal preference.

The thing is that the finer it gets, the more it can extract due to increased surface area - but it also makes it easier for the water to go through and therefore reduces the water brings less of the goodness out. The coarser, the better the pressure within, the more coffee it can extract - but the bigger chunks might be unwilling to let everything get out. Moreover, if it's too fine, you get really thin coffee, while when it's too coarse, the coffee might explode out of the pot due to the immense pressure that built up when the chunks block the holes in the filters.

So it's kinda like using a rice cooker without reading the manual - you go by trial and error.

Right now I'm still trying to get the balance, but I tend to favour fineness over coarseness, because the coffee the moka pot makes tends to be pretty thick compared to that of other manual methods of making coffee, and I usually go for a second brew.

Speaking of coffee, apparently ants dislike coffee grounds, and I'm starting to find ants in my plants, so later today I'll be spreading today's coffee grounds on the soil.

Also, epsom salt with crushed garlic mixed in water works wonders on aphids. My plants look great now and there is only one or two aphids left. The epsom salt in the soil will make sure that lone aphid will die without reproducing.




















96.8kg today. Hopefully it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment