Friday 23 October 2015

Rant 1221 / Macarons, Macaroons and Macaroni.

13 Oct 2015


It's true that you have to take advantage of the hotel promos. They are some of the best ways to earn mileage.























So I've been underestimating the amount of mileage that I have saved thus far.

The majority of it are in Asia Miles and my credit card points, and at this moment these two have over 200,000 miles in total.

At 30,000 miles to upgrade a Premium Economy round trip ticket to a Business ticket on a route as long as Hong Kong to Canada, that gives me 7 upgrades at least!

I HAVE ENOUGH MILES TO UPGRADE EVERY TRIP I'LL PROBABLY MAKE NEXT YEAR! AN ENTIRE YEAR ON BUSINESS CLASS!

Holy shit!

Obviously, I'm not going to be that crazy lol. However, I have reached the goal that I had when I started looking into credit cards. Next goal: try First.




























21 Oct 2015

Learnt several new things regarding my family and relatives.

Early in my father's silk-printing career, he used to sell fake watches as a side income. During one of his cold visits to a bag factory, he found the man who became the husband of my eldest aunt on my mother's side. Both of them came from China, with my uncle investing in a speedboat and someone who could handle it with several other people to get out and my father swimming out, hence they clicked and got familiar enough for him to introduce a sister-in-law to my father.

And got several people on my mother's side of the family to buy watches from him.

Then came the man who eventually married the 4th sister of the family. It was also a cold visit, since he sold industrial machines, and my father might have needed those. It worked out, they clicked, my mother saw that he was good with kids during visits, and they introduced my aunt to him.

























23 Oct 2015

Jet lag. It's 5am and I've been up since 2am. So glad I have flexible working hours.



















Read more about Round-The-World (RTW) fares after thinking about her trip to California next year and noticing this while browsing the CX website.

The RTW ticket is interesting because it's so different from the usual concept of the flight ticket.

When we think about air tickets, we think about it being priced in terms of the distance between the places, the popularity of the route, the holiday seasons and the city they're sold in.

In addition to all that, the RTW is also based on a set number of miles. Every route has a specified distance in miles, so every flight taken simply deducts those miles from the ticket which contains a set number of miles in credit.

One pretty cool perk of a RTW ticket is that the Business class version is usually only about twice the price of the Economy class version. However, more research needs to be done check if the Economy version is close to the price of separate tickets in the first place.

Finally, they're very flexible in that they can accommodate lots of date changes for free.








Tried a SG-London-Toronto-Sacramento-SG route, with the London stop included in order to force the trip to cross each ocean only once, which was one of the conditions of the oneworld Explorer.

This got me a price of S$5667.20. Making it Business class got me S$13,742.00.

Starting this and ending at Bangkok got me the same price.

Doing this from Barcelona on Business class got me enough of a price difference that a round trip from SG to Barcelona on Economy would still add up to be slightly lower than the original.




















One thing I've learnt about CX is that they rarely offer awesome deals - 10% off a full mileage accrual fare is probably the best an average person can get from this airline, and S$0.10/mile is probably the lowest one can possible get from a CX flight, generally speaking, although using one of their credit card offers could possibly reduce it to S$0.08-$0.09/mile.

I'm close to giving up on trying to hunt for mileage runs for Asia Miles now.





















I'm not very happy with the fact that I can't upgrade my upcoming London flights to Business class via Asia Miles redemption, but I guess I'll have to suck it up.

Upgrading them to Premium Economy will cost me over S$2k because the flight back alone will cost me S$2k. Probably full.

However, the recent Vancouver trip has taught me a good lesson - BA011's upper deck Economy seats have an extra compartment next to the window seats without sacrificing any space! Nothing in the pouch in front means more leg room! That was awesome!

Plus, when the compartment is closed, the top cover can be used as an additional table or armrest. Best seats in any Economy cabin I've ever tried, seriously!

Too bad I was too sick to really enjoy the flight.

Nevertheless, I'm emailing BA to see if they can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment