Saturday 27 October 2012

Rant 1074 / All Fathers Are Motherfuckers.


I can't believe this many leaders said these things about rape. Why aren't they in Africa instead? I imagine that they would a lot more support on this topic if they were in certain parts of the continent.















































So this is confusing.

I think XCOM does autosave at the beginning of every turn, and it stores three of the most recent ones as far as I can tell. The problem is that it autosaves again when I reload an autosave, I think, hence my confusion. But I'm not totally sure about this and I'm too enthusiastic about the game to think about testing this theory when I have the game opened.

The one issue I am sure about is that sometimes the save files are not arranged in chronological order so some of the newer ones get stuck in the middle of the list, making me think that the game didn't save when I clicked on "Save".
























So I finally found a way to store files in my iPad so that I can watch stuff offline. For a device that was designed for entertainment as a main purpose, uploading videos into it is surprisingly complicated.

The problem is that if I go the normal route and simply use iTunes to sync videos into my video library, it streams instead of import the video. The difference is that by streaming the video, it transfers the file via the internet only when I play it, thereby requiring internet access. I want the file to be in the tablet at all times without needing the internet.

After trying several google results, I realized 99.9% of the people out there (as listed by Google) only discuss how to convert videos into a format the iPad can play. Almost no one ever thinks about storing the videos in the iPads' hard disks for offline viewing.

Don't understand why but now that I have solved the problem, I don't care either.

The solution is simple, though nothing as straightforward as merely clicking on the "Sync" button.

I have to get a free app that allows me to store video files on the iPad, then connect the tablet to the PC before going to iTunes to select which video files on the PC I want to upload by going to Device, App tab, the app itself and then choosing the files.

Clearly iTunes was designed with the assumption that the tablet is always going to have to online access, and offline activities are only a secondary concern, if at all.

























If games are fair, why reward the winners? Don't the losers need more help and encouragement?

:3























So when my bro went for a relatively early dinner at 5pm with his gf, I asked him to get dinner for me too.

Coincidentally, Texas Chicken has a promotion on Mondays: $4.80 for 4 pieces of chicken.

He went and bought 3 sets just for me.

Though the chicken is better than that of KFC (juicier but much softer), I could barely finish 4 pieces.

The rest will be stored for other meals. I could heat it up in the oven or debone and cube the meat for a chicken aglio olio. Both are easy ways to fix leftover fried chicken.

























XCOM is hard. So I'm playing on Normal difficulty and I totally underestimated the importance of satellites, causing me to lose 3 countries.

I'm not sure if it's permanent but it feels like it and I'm fully prepared to finish the game without North America. It's ok because I already have Africa and Europe. For some reason, the developers made it a really simple decision because the "All In" bonus is so OP IMO.

As for Europe, I'm not sure now if it was really a good decision to start with it for the research bonus because I'm at the objective where I need to take down the Overseer, and I have nothing to research.

This makes me think that the bonus might not have been necessary after all.

...


Okay, it's not that bad once I spammed satellites and got the money rolling. In fact, the game's quite easy with all these upgrades and plasma weapons I can now afford. Plasma sniper rifle with double tap and  headshot = easy mode.

























So this happened when Obama released his birth certificate. Really showed Donald Trump no mercy that night. Obama must have been so pissed off by his constant questioning about his birth country.























Recently the news said that taking multivitamins may reduce chances of getting cancer. No harm not taking those. Since my bro is already on it, I can just share his supply.

Also been doing lateral raises with those 6kg dumbbells but I do less of them, from 10 using 3.5kg previously to 5 per set. Hopefully this will work better.

Totally didn't expect my wrists to feel tired.

























One man speaks the truth on the internet, and not a low-profile unknown person like myself.

It caused drama.

Original article as linked in the linked article here to make things clearer.

Just today, as I sat down to write this piece, I saw that there were games journalists winning PS3s on Twitter. There was a competition at those GMAs – tweet about our game and win a PS3. One of those stupid, crass things. And some games journos took part. All piling in, opening a sharing bag of Doritos, tweeting the hashtag as instructed. And today the winners were announced. Then a whole big argument happened, and other people who claim to be journalists claimed to see nothing wrong with what those so-called journalists had done. I think the winners are now giving away their PS3s, but it's too late. It's too late.

Basically, the story started much earlier, but the drama began when this writer at Eurogamer (now an ex-employee) wrote the article in the second link describing the absence of journalistic integrity among some of the best-known game journalists on the internet.

I don't actually read game reviews on most of these sites but I do occasionally use the scores from Metacritic and Gamespot as a rough gauge for whether I should even bother trying the games, and that's for games I didn't watch on a stream, usually RPGs so that I don't accidentally spoil them for myself.

Fortunately neither of these sites were mentioned. However, that doesn't mean they are clean.

Anyways, the drama exploded when one of the journalists named in the article got her part of it removed on Eurogamer. Things got worse someone dug a little more and found a link between her employment record and her reviews. Though she was never officially hired as a reviewer in those cases, this does present a rather convenient link between two things that should not be linked in the first place.


I'm sure I can't be the only person to notice that there are many occasions when games don't live up to their review scores. I'm long passed the point where I care about these scores, but clearly there are plenty of people out there who still do.

It may be true that this is wrong, but such journalists have existed long before game journalism became a big thing. Moreover, it's has been known for a long time that game publishers hire random trolls to praise their games and derail forum threads that criticize them. Hence, the fact that someone talked about it on an established game review website was not a symptom that it existed, but that it was festering like a week-old open wound.

The issue here, to me, is that they were being obvious like they didn't think they would ever get caught. As someone I know used to say, if you're going to steal food, don't forget to wipe your lips afterwards.


This club, this weird club of pals and buddies that make up a fair proportion of games media, needs to be broken up somehow. They have a powerful bond, though – held together by the pressures of playing to the same audience. Games publishers and games press sources are all trying to keep you happy, and it's much easier to do that if they work together. Publishers are well aware that some of you go crazy if a new AAA title gets a crappy review score on a website, and they use that knowledge to keep the boat from rocking. Everyone has a nice easy ride if the review scores stay decent and the content of the games are never challenged. Websites get their exclusives. Ad revenue keeps rolling in. The information is controlled. Everyone stays friendly. It's a steady flow of Mountain Dew pouring from the hills of the money men, down through the fingers of the weary journos, down into your mouths.

I don't actually give a damn if all that is true; this is commonplace in other industries too. My issue with this is that it's strange how game publishers continue to invest hundreds of millions to make bad games.

Why?

If game reviewers have such great standards, why not just hire them as consultants??? Why wait till the game's complete before you show it to the experts? Why can't you show it to them (with the help of a NDA of course) while it's under development?

Same with films and TV shows. If people trust the reviewers' opinions so much, why can't they help in the development process? 

Then you can actually use their criticisms in a very legitimate and constructive way instead of merely exploiting them as a form of propaganda.

Nobody says you can't do this. This isn't school. Review scores aren't exam grades. You can get the examiner to start marking your paper as soon as you write down the answers, then correct them accordingly.






























Oh man...



US$399 for a SG-HK cruise. Too bad I can't do it. First, single occupancy will cost more, probably 50% more at least. Second, I can't fork out my money for this sort of frivolous things yet. Third, I'd want my cruise after the business trip, ie from Hong Kong to Singapore.

But $399 (about S$500) per pax. What a deal! This is as cheap as a roundtrip air ticket!
























I am somewhat disturbed by the fact that there are people on selling sweaters online similar to what I sell but at half the price.

It's true that they are almost all cotton/acrylic mix but I have this feeling that there are enough ignorant people out there who don't know the difference between wool and cotton, thus thinking they are great deals when they aren't. In addition, they seem to avoid mentioning that their products are made of cotton unless directly asked about it. Some of them even state the material as "knit fabric" on the images to mislead viewers.

Wat.

In fact they would be getting badly ripped off if they bought those because they come straight from China. If I, as a Singaporean wholesaler, can see how I can afford to sell WOOL sweaters at those prices, think of how cheap cotton sweaters would be for Chinese sellers.

TBH, my buyers sell my cotton sweaters at only a few dollars more than those, so we're almost equal if I compare my cotton sweaters with theirs.

I keep thinking that I should go in, so why am I not doing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment