Saturday 7 June 2008

Rant 139 / Speed, Too Much Of It


My mum went crazy again and upgraded the broadband internet plan to MaxOnline Ultimate. Got a new modem and one of those E170 mobile modem. In hope of keeping the whole non-mobile modem's bandwidth to himself, my brother persuaded me to try the mobile modem on my laptop right after the technician was done installing the router.

By using this USB stick, it is the same as having a second line, thus allowing my brother to stretch the limits of the bigger modem. Straight after I had confirmed that I was not using his modem via router, he unplugged the router and went to www.speedtest.net. He got a stunning 35Mbps DOWNLOAD SPEED! That doesn't count the upload speed.

As for me, I got a stunning 3.5Mbps download speed, a fucking amazing TEN fucking percent of his fucking bandwidth. Plus the connection was extremely unstable, causing my ping to jump like a kangaroo on a trampoline. A server in the US usually gives me a 200ms ping. On this modem, my ping jumps constantly between 240-1000ms.

In an hour, I concluded that this modem was only for working purposes. So I gave the disappointing news to my brother, who then reluctantly proceed to plugging in the router. This made him less happy because with the router slowing down his connection, his download speed went down to 22Mbps, a drastic 33% reduction. As for me, my download speed rose from 3.5 to 5Mbps and the connection was stable enough.

Of course the idea of using both modems simultaneously crossed my mind. In fact, I did try it, but my speed was slightly worse than using the mobile modem alone. I blame this on the interference between the USB stick and the inbuilt modem in my laptop.

Finally, I do have some reservations about this tiny modem. On its manual's safety section, it states that the user must be 1.5cm away from it to receive a legally safe level of radiation. I bet this level of radiation at 1.5cm is barely safe only if you are nowhere near any other source of radiation, like handphones, portable hard disks, laptops, routers and etc.

All in all, this was a thoroughly pointless upgrade (probably) brought on by a very persuasive telemarketer. I'd rather she spend the extra money on the electric bills so that I can turn on my air-conditioner more.

But after seeing the 35Mbps on my brother's screen.....

No comments:

Post a Comment