Tuesday 12 June 2007

Rant 060 / Mr Anonymous must be older than God





Cute...











And you thought hobbits were short?











Bet you never wondered if Mao ever had a Christian name...










From http://theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21883831-2702,00.html?from=public_rss

"... We're talking about turning over Australia's only nationwide telecommunications network to a consortia run by the Singapore Government. That's a government that executes people, number one... It's unbelievable."

Oh wow.






Finished Olympos yesterday. Couldn't let it go until I finished half of Chapter 3 and the whole of Chapter 4. It was a very good read, but the ending was not as I expected it to be. And the 2 books, Ilium and Olympos have too many references to Shakespearean sonnets and plays for me to understand everything.

For one, the ultimate villain was a thing called Setebos, which is apparently a creature from Tempest(I think), and the Iliad. There were also Prospero, Caliban, Sycorax and Circe - names that I could not relate to because I have little knowledge regarding Shakespearean works. I believe there were special significance in these names which could only be understood by those familiar with classical literature.

Even though this duology is like a sci-fi adaptation of the Iliad, unlike the latter, there are those who die nameless in this story. I can see much effort made in naming everyone who died, but near the end, things were moving too fast for the writer to identify everyone.

But still, the humans in this books have almost every special ability that anyone can think of, from instantaneous teleportation to invisibility to sharing knowledge by just touching.

And the scientific explanation to the invulnerability of Archilles is astounding- his life's probabilities were changed such that the chance of him dying his appointed death (being killed by Paris) was an absolute 100%, leaving no chance for him to be killed by anything and anyone but Paris(not Hilton, but the lover of Helen).





Just watched Next, a movie starring Nicholas Cage. It was quite fascinating to see how the ability to see into the future, even if it's only only 2 mins ahead, can be used in such ways. A person like that can do anything he wants and have anything! He can always know what to say, and what to do. He will never be killed, except by old age or disease, because any unnatural death will be known 2 mins before it happens. It's freaking cool.



On the other hand, I wasted a few hours of my life watching this horrifying british movie named Hot Fuzz. An absolute waste of time, combining gory violence with ridiculous stupidity, I did laugh at some parts at first, but the complete illogic at the end totally put me off. In fact, I was appalled by the actual plot revealed by the "twist" near the end of the film.

It is like getting a girl with really huge boobs stripping in front of you, only to find that they sag so much they almost touch her pubic hair. I am so sorry I watched it. I will never do it again, I promise.



On a happier note, my German exam just ended. I hope for at least some decent results, aber meine deutsche ist Scheiße. Holidays again, albeit only for a weekend. Next: Spanish 1.



Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment